[Culturechat] Jim Kunstler link on urbansurvival.com

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:53:54 EST

-------------------------------1105372434

As Vance pointed out, there are some survivalist aspects to the Peak Oil
debate, but the difference between the Seventies Survivalists and the Peak Oil
guys is that Peak Oil represents a problem with physical limits--not concerns
about black helicopters swooping down and taking control of your city.

If you believe that there are no limits to the growth of:  (1)  energy
supplies; (2)  food supplies and (3) world population, then you have nothing to
worry about.  Of course, in my opinion these are not rational beliefs.

Fossil fuels are--in effect--batteries, in the sense that they are stored
solar energy.  We are in effect maintaining the growth of energy supplies, food
supplies and world population using "battery power."   When the energy output
from that battery supply peaks and starts declining, net available energy will
decline until the rate of growth of alternative energy is equal to the rate of
decline of conventional energy.

Actions speak far louder than words.  Governments around the world, such as
the U.S., Russia, China and India, are doing everything in the power to
increase their access to and/or control of energy supplies.

J. Brown

-------------------------------1105372434

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type charset=3DUS-ASCII content=3D"text/html; cha=
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.100" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>As Vance pointed out, there are some survivalist aspects to the Peak Oi=
l debate, but the difference between the Seventies Survivalists and the Peak=
 Oil guys is that Peak Oil represents a problem with physical limits--not co=
ncerns about black helicopters swooping down and taking control of your city=
.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If you believe that there are no limits to the growth of:&nbsp; (1)&nbs=
p; energy supplies; (2)&nbsp; food supplies and (3) world population, then y=
ou have nothing to worry about.&nbsp; Of course, in my opinion these are not=
 rational beliefs. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Fossil fuels are--in effect--batteries, in the sense that they are stor=
ed solar energy.&nbsp; We are in effect maintaining the growth of energy sup=
plies, food supplies and world population using "battery power."&nbsp;&nbsp;=
 When the energy output from that battery supply peaks and starts declining,=
 net available energy will decline until the rate of growth of alternative e=
nergy is equal to the rate of decline of conventional energy.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Actions speak far louder than words.&nbsp; Governments around the world=
, such as the U.S., Russia, China and India, are doing everything in the pow=
er to increase their access to and/or control of energy supplies.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>J. Brown</DIV></BODY></HTML>