[Culturechat] Jim Kunstler link on urbansurvival.com

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:38:49 +0100

You know, I often agree at least in part, with a lot of what J. Brown
says, but this is a bit too much for me.

This, and the sites imbedded, remind me of an old medical school
classmate. I'll call him "C". I last saw C a few years back at a class
reunion. He practices and lives in rural Middle Tennessee. It took only
a few minutes talk to tell that he was marching to a somewhat bit
different drum than I. Sure, I consider myself to be conservative in
many ways, but C was way ahead of me.

In a few minutes, he was showing me the trunk of his car. It was filled
with canned goods, bottled water, guns, shells, protective clothing,
etc. He told me that he owned a home in the countryside (which in
middle Tennessee is beautiful) with a cave behind the house. He has
this fitted as a bomb/disaster shelter with provisions for many months.
Of course, it is heavily fortified and armed, not so much against a
known enemy, but against those folks that live near him who will likely
want shelter/protection when "they" start the insurrection, revolution,
civil war, or whatever he imagined.Then, as now, I dismiss most of this
as at least misguided, if not plain stupid. His attitude was that I was
just not smart enough to see the big picture.

Now, as some may know, I live in a village of 4800 souls. I am 3
minutes from the local stores for food, hardware, medicines, candles,
etc. We have mass transit 10 minutes walk away, bicycles are abundant,
I can walk to a movie 30 minutes away, there is no local police force,
two banks in which to keep all my gold, land around us for gardens,
livestock, abundant fresh water, and fish in the lake. I am willing to
bet that are at least a dozen women in town that can weave cloth and
spin thread. So, by a lot of the parameters of Kunstler/Brown, I am
sitting pretty. Of course, we would need a few more candles (Barbara
keeps the place looking like a church at night) and likely some oil
lamps (animal, not fossil). With 4$ a gallon gas, 10$ might not even
make me sell the car. I'll keep it until at least 20$ for those monthly
trips 20 minutes away to Luzern. With no tourists and few locals, I'll
bet the stores there will be glad to see me.

On 06.01.2005, at 21:32, WesTexas@aol.com wrote:

> http://www.urbansurvival.com/week.htm
>  Classic Kunstler

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com/fredch

“Never under estimate the ingenuity of the stupid.”
Anon.