[Culturechat] CH Flood, day 2 (to Sarnen)

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:48:05 +0200

I walked to Sarnen this AM. Well, almost to Sarnen. It seems that you
can ride a bike or drive a car to the town, but you cannot walk all the
way. So, I got the car and drove over.

Beginning before the traffic circle, one can see the rail line
destruction. Then, the Melchaa River is out of its banks with a broken
dam, and the rail bridge is destroyed. There is mud and debris six or
more feet deep wherever the water flowed.

In Sarnen, anything from a block or so westward to and beyond the
Bruenigstrasse is a lake. The beaches, public pool, and the camp
grounds are covered. Once again, the "Mistwagens" ( those tank wagons
that spray liquid cow manure over the pastures) come to the rescue. By
reversing the pumps, the hoses suck water out of basements into the
take to be hauled away.

It will some time after the water has receded before there will be
trains running. Buses are running between Luzern and Sachslen but not
beyond. Giswil is flooded in and around the train station. Lungern is
fine but the lake is about 3 feet over its usual summer levels. There
is flooding in and near the autobahns in Interlaken, and the Interlaken
West station was flooded. The line between Interlaken Ost and Meiringen
is blocked.

Engelberg is isolated except by helicopter. The village is covered with
some feet of water. I'll try to scan some newspaper photos later.

Pictures are here.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=7lstc6f.cjhu1b7v&x=0&y=ya542e

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com/fredch

  I am not a complete idiot; some parts are still missing.
AJC Vent