[Culturechat] Rick Steves Op-Ed

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:18:14 +0200

OK. Here I am trying to get folks interested in Swiss saffron, and
someone yanks on my chain.

I read the Steves article. As one who has been accused of "having an
agenda", I think we all know that Steves has his. I know that his
outfit has its followers, but after seeing one of his tours go through
Hallstatt in Austria, I wonder why people praise him so much.

I didn't know that a stance on world affairs had to include a
popularity contest. I prefer to NOT be the winner in such a contest.
Look who some of the judges are! I think howls of protest are sometimes
good indicators of being on the right path. Living in CH, I encounter
no hostility from the Swiss. Maybe some of them feel sorry for me, I
don't know. Right now, they are upset with the USA travel restrictions
for their citizens. A Swiss entering the USA has to have a picture made
and get fingerprinted. I like that idea and wouldn't object to it in
any country in the world, I wanted to visit.

If we accept Steves UN numbers (I do), then maybe we aren't going with
the flow. Is that always bad? It is not always a bad thing to be out
voted. I know it must scare the bejeebers out of some countries for the
USA to do what it says it will do. To have a leader that does that must
be a shock to them. I don't agree with our country's pro-Israel bent,
but which of our past presidents of either party has gone against that
current? I don't like W's stem cell plans. Kerry? Gee Whiz (take that
to mean what you like), can't the Democrats come up with something
better that that? Aren't they just a bit too far to the left? I think
the Republicans are as too far to the right, as are the Democrats to
the left. Where do the middle of the road people vote?

Sure, travel is an enriching experience if one has the right attitude,
but you should see some of our fellow country "persons" and their
behavior when on foreign soil. The Ugly American is alive and well. On
the other side of the coin, a USA citizen can spread goodwill and
foster good feelings. This is an individual thing. Just because you act
as a guest in a foreign country doesn't make the natives like everyone
who comes from your native land. In fairness, I have to say that
Idyllers, almost to a "person", are great ambassadors for the USA. That
doesn't mean that they are in the majority of US tourists.

I think that the US has forgotten how to fight a war, the military
maneuver more to keep CNN and Danny Boy Rather happy than to win an
objective, and the politicians will literally say any thing and hop
over the fence multiple times to win their election. The role of travel
is relatively unimportant when it comes to living in a world where one
is dealing with suicidal people who will do anything to get to paradise
and their seventy virgins (ever wonder where the Imans came up with
that figure?).

Now. That's enough for me. I have already voted. I had to do this in
order to cancel my spouse's vote. We are the James Carville and Mary
Matlin of Sachseln but with the genders reversed.  No matter the
outcome, don't anyone out there think that the Limousine Liberals or
the Radical Right is going to give up. Both those groups travel a lot.
Congrats to Brian on his unobtrusive attempt to promote an idea.

Vance Roy--Who has traveled a fair amount but is not nomadic.
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com/fredch

“Never under estimate the ingenuity of the stupid.”
Anon.