[Culturechat] Rick Steves Op-Ed

Gerald J. Clancy, Jr. jclancy@billtrak.com
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:47:27 -0400

Hate to do this but, as someone who has been abroad some 26 times and
worked with a wide range of Europeans, I found this a very Pollyanna view
of the world, somewhat self-serving, probably well-intentioned and
incredibly naive. Sure, travel does enhance understanding, but the "Gee, if
only we'd travel more, everything would be alright" view of the world
totally ignores the political, religious, ethnic and economic reasons
behind why people do the often bad things they do. Travel won't convert the
Taliban. And don't even get me started on his U.N. comments.

Jerry