[Culturechat] Confirmation, CH Style

VCR gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Sun, 18 May 2003 22:04:23 +0200

  This past Sunday, we enjoyed a treat. Our first ever celebration of
two young friends being confirmed in CH. This was not like any
confirmation that I have ever attended. For those unsure what
confirmation is, it is the assumption of religious responsibility in a
church congregation. I do not know just what religions have this
practice, but having had two close childhood buddies who were Roman
Catholic and being an Episcopalian myself, I know that these two groups
have confirmation classes and services.

So, today, two Greutert grandchildren were confirmed. They are
protestant, but since there are so many invited guests of a rather large
confirmation class, the ceremony was held at one of the local Roman
Catholic churches. We live in a Roman Catholic Kanton, so protestants
are in a definite minority and their church is small. This church is in
Sarnen and is a piece of what I call Swiss Ugly architecture. Too modern
by about 100 years to suit me, but that's just my way. I like my
church's architecture at least as old as God. Whatever, here we were in
the church with all sorts of other folks who in large part are
Godparents happy to see their Godchildren become adults in the eyes of
the church. The protestant minister and the Roman Catholic priest were
conferring, and I am wondering what would the Pope think about all this.
Remember, when I grew up with my RC buddies, the two ministers/priests
didn't speak at all, and an RC who went a protestant church was in deep
kim chee.

The service began. Lordy, Lordy, what started was a singing quartet with
one at the keyboard, all dressed in their New York blacks and belting
out good old Southern gospel songs (in English). Now, I really wonder if
the Pope knows about this. Things moved on. None of this reminds me of
when the Episcopal bishop did the "Laying on of hands" when I was
confirmed. There were several more gospel songs, an interpretive dance
(with tummies on cute girls showing), a reading by each of the
confirmants ((Since each class selects a theme (this one was black and
white), each confirmant made a statement about this subject)), the
minister confirming each with a greeting from God and a handshake, and a
celebration of the sacrament of Communion (served by the confirmant
class).  I did see the RC priest peering around a corner every so often.
Don't know if he was afraid the protestants were going to get even more
wild, or if the Pope's police were on the way (I really have sympathy
for the old guy). Don't take my comments about him or the term RC as
derogatory. I admit to being a "Whiskeypagen" and having "Fish eaters"
as my best friends. Anyway, I thought the event was ecumenical of the
first water, and we all enjoyed it.

The gospel singers belted out the last song. If they had had some burnt
cork on their faces, I would have been up "testifying" myself. As we
left, we each were give a mini-cupcake by the class, and many photos
were made by all.

What happened after, and an address for photos for those so inclined,
will come in part two.

--
Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch