[Culturechat] Now, THIS is a good story (and true)

VCR gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Sun, 18 May 2003 21:59:36 +0200

  On Saturday, some new Idyllers arrived here in Sachseln. Idyllers
usually don't arrive on Saturday, but these folks are here for a week
only. Regardless, we all sat around and talked while eating cake to
celebrate the Norwegian National Day (when the landlady, Berit Greutert,
is Norwegian, this takes the form of an all day party). Turns out the
lady of the new Idyll pair was originally from Scotland. She and her
husband now live in Newport, RI, which was a surprise to Barbara and me,
since that is our USA home of sorts. Small world, etc. Then we learned
that this lady, as a child, had lived in Kerns (a village near Sachseln)
for several months. Seems that during WW II, the Red Cross took kids
from war torn homes and farmed them out in CH for some R&R. As a six
year old, she had spent nine months or so, after her father died in the
war, in Kerns with a family named Egger.

The family Egger head was a doctor named Leo, and they had three girls
and a son. Our Idyller lady remembered their names, but not the mother's
name. Well, Albert pulls out the phone book and finds an Andre Egger in
Kerns. Andre was the name of the youngest Egger child. Turns out Andre
was not home, and his wife didn't know much about her husband's family.
Arrangements were made to call another time, and that was that.

OK, today, while at the confirmation service (another story), I find
myself sitting next to a man that I know who happens to have been born
in,  and still lives in, Kerns. I asked him about family Egger. "Sure",
he says, "I know Andre Egger.  He lives in Kerns, and his mother is the
oldest citizen of the Kerns community." Whoa Boy! I passed this
information on to Albert Greutert, who like a bloodhound with the scent,
starts tracking. By the end of the afternoon, he has found the 95 year
old Frau Egger, spoken with her, and made an appointment with this woman
who remembers a shy Scottish girl who stayed with them for a few months
as a Red Cross child.

The best part was seeing this woman get told by Albert to be ready to
make a visit tomorrow to see a long ago foster mother. The Idyller was
overcome to be here about 24 hours and to have a hope of finding someone
in the Egger family, fulfilled by meeting the matriarch.

Now, even and old phart like me likes to see this sort of thing happen.
Talk about Six Degrees of Separation?

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
      ---General George Patton