[Culturechat] More on G 8 in Evian

VCR gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Tue, 20 May 2003 17:27:26 +0200

  Since the French have snookered the Swiss into believing that they
should pay 22 out of 40 million CHF for the security of the G 8 meeting
in France (Evian) next month, it has become necessary for the Swiss to
borrow some 1000 german police personnel as well as 15 water cannons.
This blows me away since the Swiss can't even participate in the meeting
and do not belong to the G 8 group.

Anyway, barring last minute changes, it is a done deal. A friend (Swiss)
and I were talking about this, and two points came up. One, how much do
the other members of the G 8 contribute to these meetings (some would
call them wars)? USA, Russia, France, Germany, Japan, etc. should be
liable for some of the costs. Shouldn't they bear the costs? Second
point is why not keep secret the location of these meetings? One could
say, for instance, that a meeting of G 8 will be in 2003, so prepare.
Then 2-3 days before, call the members and tell where it is. The
protesters have been preparing for months. Why give them so much lead time?

--
Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch