[Culturechat] Denmark: A Case Study in Social Democracy (From Mises Institute)

Marlene Rodgers mcrodgers@mac.com
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:38:30 -0600

--Apple-Mail-2--1005268405

Denmark has had a downturn of their economy and like any government has
to do some tweaking here and there which I have read they are doing.  I
hardly find this a failure (or an end) of their social democracy system
and found the article submitted to be very biased.  Danes for the most
part enjoy a high quality of life, unlike the many Americans in our
inner-cities and elsewhere.
I wondered what types of crime was on the rise in Denmark and found
this:

Denmark - Conditions of Life - Personal Safety

Denmark
3.Conditions of Life
3.6 Personal Safety

Along with a rapid increase in the density of traffic and the number of
cars on the roads, safety on the roads has also improved considerably.
The number of people killed or severely injured in traffic accidents
each year more than halved between 1970 and 2000. Far more men than
women are injured in traffic accidents (in 2000 almost 2/3 more), and
especially the group aged between 15 and 19 is at a high risk.

Theft and vandalism have become more widespread in the period
1980-2000. The number of reported offences, mainly offences against
property, rose by 24%, corresponding to 9 reports annually per 100
inhabitants in 2000.

The number of reported violent crimes stood at 15,200 in 2000, showing
a rise of over 40% in ten years. This type of crime is particularly
common in urban areas, and it is in particular the rate of less serious
violent crimes that has increased, while the rate of the most serious
ones such as murder (or attempted murder) has fallen.

Carsten Torpe

--Apple-Mail-2--1005268405

has had a downturn of their economy and like any government has to do
some tweaking here and there which I have read they are doing.  I
hardly find this a failure (or an end) of their social democracy
system and found the article submitted to be very biased.  Danes for
the most part enjoy a high quality of life, unlike the many Americans
in our inner-cities and elsewhere.

I wondered what types of crime was on the rise in Denmark and found
this:

<bold>

</color>

<italic>Denmark</italic>

[...]