[Culturechat] Denmark: A Case Study in Social Democracy (From Mises Insti...

Samovar9@aol.com Samovar9@aol.com
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:39:26 EDT

I spent four years in Denmark in the 1970s working at the American Embassy.
I had long been interested in the social democracy experiments in the
Scandinavian countries.  Seeing Denmark at close hand and talking with many Danish
friends, I concluded that the social and economic systems in Denmark had some
serious failings but, on the whole, were probably beneficial to the average Dane
- more so if he had a chronically sick wife and many children to put through
college; less so for others.

The Hansen article which "WesTexas" sent, for which I thank him, provides an
update on what seems to be a seriously deteriorating situation in Denmark.  I
have no reason to doubt his statistics but I have a problem with one of his
claims.  He states: "One option for young people is to leave. It was recently
proposed by one of the three economists from the Danish Economic Council that if
young people in Denmark wish to move abroad after they have completed their
education, they should first have to pay back the costs of their education.
Only when they have paid enough taxes to cover all the expenses of their
education, would they be able to move abroad without having to pay the government
first."

Since Denmark is a member of the European Union, its members may move freely
throughout the Union states and without restrictions. As I recall, only an
identity card is needed for such travel and, of course, a valid driver's license
if driving.  Therefore, even if the Danish government wanted to require
payback of education expenses, it could not do so.  Should a Dane wish to emigrate
to a country outside of the European Union, he/she would need a passport which
could be used for any purpose.  I find it hard to conceive of a government
(particularly Denmark) putting a restriction on a passport of the sort indicated.

Paul