[Culturechat] Denmark: A Case Study in Social Democracy (From Mises Insti...

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:51:26 EDT

I'm not making any claims; I just thought that the article was extremely
interesting, since the author is challenging conventional wisdom.  The author of
the article is Per Henrik Hansen, who teaches economics at the Copenhagen
Business School.  (perhenrikhansen@hotmail.com).

Paul is correct in pointing out that there are EU issues here, and the issue
of differing tax rates within the EU is a sore point within the Union--for the
very reason outlined in the article.  I understand that Ireland for example
is under considerable pressure--from high tax EU countries--to raise their tax
rates.   Presumably if Denmark put up their own version of the Berlin Wall,
they would have to withdraw from the EU.

The very high tax rate welfare state democracies like Denmark, and to a
lesser degree Germany, are the "canaries in the coalmines."  The problem that the
high tax rate countries face is that young people--and companies--are rebelling
against
high tax rates and voting with their feet, so that high tax rate governments
are left with a steadily shrinking tax base.  Consequently, Germany has been
forced to start reducing both tax rates and government benefits.

J. Brown