[Culturechat] Culture question

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:15:56 +0100

Chat "charters" have become changed/perverted in some ways over the
lifetime of the chats. A lot of people with what the Swiss call narrow
vision are overly sensitized to a message that does not fit into their
ideas of a particular pigeon hole. Sadly, one must write a message so
that the lowest computer intellect can handle it. One must always keep
one's finger on or near the DELETE key.

> Is there an unbiased way to compare the standard of living of the
> European countries we might visit? Their taxes may be higher but the
> social services may be better. Tax on gasoline has its consequences
> such
> as smaller cars. The governments may subsidize certain services. They
> may
> have more vacation days but life is full of regulations etc, etc

I don't see how a direct comparison can be made in all spheres. There
are differences of course, but they are apparent only to those from
elsewhere. If we had two countries the same size, same number of people
per unit of measure, etc., that would make it easier. It surprises me
that a lot of people think of CH as a tax haven with socialized
medicine. Just ain't so. In fact, I get to pay taxes to two countries,
as well as pay for my health insurance.

> .
> Do they have different zoning rules?

The "sticks" are still put up so neighbors can see the outline of a
proposed new building. A community member may object without charge up
until a point. If that point is reached, then he must pay costs of
litigation, etc. That is usually where it stops. if enough folks
object, then the project can be modified or even cancelled. Modern day
sticks are now frequently made of metal.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com/fredch