[Culturechat] Glasgow Herald Story: True or False?

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:36:02 EST

Michael Settle is the Chief Political Correspondent for the Glasgow Herald.
I find it hard to believe that he would endanger his career by publishing a
false account of the "behind the scenes meeting."

The only reasonable possibility then, if one assumes that the account is
false, is that Settle's source lied to him.  I have not done a comprehensive
search, but I have not found anything so far that contradicts Michael
Settle's account of the meeting.    If Settle's source had lied to him, I'm
sure that  someone would have said something by now.

The other possibility is that Settle's account is accurate and that the EU
leaders and
Kofi Annan are saying things in private to each other that they would not say
in public--which is why I described it as a "fascinating behind the scenes
account."

J. Brown