[Culturechat] Glasgow Herald--Fascinating Behind the Scenes Account of EU...

Samovar9@aol.com Samovar9@aol.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:03:07 EST

--part1_3e.2c44632f.2b87b5cb_boundary

I had written:

The following two paragraphs in this story both surprised me and made me
doubt its veracity:

Kofi Annan, the UN secretary-general, fully aware that the international
body's future is on the line, began by appealing to the 15 EU leaders to act
together. The international community, he said, demanded that their leaders
unite around a common line.

"He also told it to the heads of government straight: that if Saddam Hussein
continued with his defiance, then the security council would have no option
but to face up to its responsibilities - confront the Baghdad regime with
military force."

Kofu Annan, as UN Secretary General, has always been careful to take a
neutral stance on all issues before the UN.  I would be highly surprised if
he broke that rule as reported.
---------------------------
Several persons asked for info on obtaining the story.  WesTexas replied:

"I excerpted a portion of this story directly off the Glasgow Herald website
and gave credit to the author.    As far as I know, no one has repudiated the
account of the behind the scenes meeting."

I have no doubt that WesTexas correctly excerpted that portion of the story.
My point was that Kofu Annan is unlikely to have made a statement which
included the words: "confront the Baghdad regime with military force." when
the UN decision is still pending.  Not even Resolution 1441 made so bald a
statement, although this is undobtedly the US intent.

Paul

--part1_3e.2c44632f.2b87b5cb_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2>I had written:
<BR>
<BR>The following two paragraphs in this story both surprised me and made me=
 doubt its veracity:=20
<BR>
<BR>Kofi Annan, the UN secretary-general, fully aware that the international=
=20
<BR>body's future is on the line, began by appealing to the 15 EU leaders to=
 act=20
<BR>together. The international community, he said, demanded that their lead=
ers=20
<BR>unite around a common line.=20
<BR>
<BR>"He also told it to the heads of government straight: that if Saddam Hus=
sein=20
<BR>continued with his defiance, then the security council would have no opt=
ion=20
<BR>but to face up to its responsibilities - confront the Baghdad regime wit=
h=20
<BR>military force."=20
<BR>
<BR>Kofu Annan, as UN Secretary General, has always been careful to take a n=
eutral stance on all issues before the UN. &nbsp;I would be highly surprised=
 if he broke that rule as reported.
<BR>---------------------------
<BR>Several persons asked for info on obtaining the story. &nbsp;WesTexas re=
plied:
<BR>
<BR>"I excerpted a portion of this story directly off the Glasgow Herald web=
site=20
<BR>and gave credit to the author. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;As far as I know, no on=
e has repudiated the=20
<BR>account of the behind the scenes meeting."
<BR>
<BR>I have no doubt that WesTexas correctly excerpted that portion of the st=
ory. &nbsp;My point was that Kofu Annan is unlikely to have made a statement=
 which included the words: "confront the Baghdad regime with military force.=
" when the UN decision is still pending. &nbsp;Not even Resolution 1441 made=
 so bald a statement, although this is undobtedly the US intent.
<BR>
<BR>Paul</FONT></HTML>

--part1_3e.2c44632f.2b87b5cb_boundary--