[Culturechat] Glasgow Herald--Fascinating Behind the Scenes Account of EU...

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:34:00 EST

I excerpted a portion of this story directly off the Glasgow Herald website
and gave credit to the author.    As far as I know, no one has repudiated the
account of the behind the scenes meeting.

One other point about Germany and France.  James Woolsey, the former CIA
director had a good column in the 2/20/02 Wall Street Journal in which he
pointed out that Americans need to differentiate between the German and
French people and their leaders.  (As I pointed out previously, Schroeder's
party lost decisively in state elections, and independent analysts attributed
the losses at least partly to Schroeder's anti-American stance).    Woolsey
also noted that the Americans and British did not have a monopoly on heroes
in WWII.   Some of the bravest people in WWII were Germans who opposed Hitler
and French who fought in the Resistance against the Nazis.

Having said that, I think that Chirac is scum.  There is increasing evidence
that Chirac is inextricably intertwined with Hussein's nuclear program, which
may explain his hysterical opposition to the U.S.--Chirac may be afraid that
his connection to Hussein's nuclear program will be exposed.   In addition, I
suspect that Schroeder may be concerned that Germany's involvement in
Hussein's chemical and biological programs will be exposed.

J. Brown