[Culturechat] Burned bridges

Marlene Rodgers mcrodgers@mac.com
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:56:16 -0400

--Apple-Mail-2--287467340

My like?  I am not even sure what my like is.  I am sure I don't know
what your like is.  I probably would agree with you on many things and
other things not but I do know we miss too much, there are too many
subtleties and complexities in people,  to lump them into "the likes of
them".  Perhaps it sounds cliche, you may say PC, but I do know that it
is always a mistake to make such  generalities about people or groups
of people. Most of us do it  to some degree but it is never wise and I
believe we should at least make some attempt at restraining this
beastly tendency.
Yes, I am quite sure you could show me patronizing but I would rather
you not.  Perhaps arrogant and dismissive would have been better words
but it sounded more harsh than I had wanted.

Marlene

  "That would be a good idea."  -Gandhi, asked by a reporter for his
opinion of Western Civilization.

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 12:35 PM, VCR wrote:

>> My first reaction Vance, on your comment that you found it nice to
>> see Vivianne not mad all the time was oh, that is a bit patronizing.
>> I know that is how I would feel to have that said to me.
>

> The only time I met Vivianne, she was quite pleasant. She is biased
> with reason. She lives in France and is likely more French than
> American by now. That's her problem not ours. I enjoy Alsace because
> it isn't really French. The Alsatians are Alsatian first and French
> second. Read their history. They have been German in odd years and
> French in even.
>
> Patronizing?? I can show you patronizing. Neither her comment to me
> nor mine to her was patronizing. I don't expect to change you or your
> like anyway.
>
> BTW, we just spent a day in Gruyere. They speak French, German,
> English, and God knows what without looking down their noses at > anyone.
>
> --
> Vance Roy
> gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
>
> Autopsy, burn, and bury, you want to be sure.
> Winston Churchill on hearing of the death of a political opponent.

--Apple-Mail-2--287467340

My like?  I am not even sure what my like is.  I am sure I don't know
what your like is.  I probably would agree with you on many things and
other things not but I do know we miss too much, there are too many
subtleties and complexities in people,  to lump them into "the likes
of them".  Perhaps it sounds cliche, you may say PC, but I do know
that it is always a mistake to make such  generalities about people or
groups of people. Most of us do it  to some degree but it is never
wise and I believe we should at least make some attempt at restraining
this beastly tendency.

Yes, I am quite sure you could show me patronizing but I would rather
you not.  Perhaps arrogant and dismissive would have been better words
but it sounded more harsh than I had wanted.

Marlene

-Gandhi, asked by a reporter for his opinion of Western Civilization.</color>

My first reaction Vance, on your comment that you found it nice to see
Vivianne not mad all the time was oh, that is a bit patronizing. I
know that is how I would feel to have that said to me.

</excerpt>

[...]

--Apple-Mail-2--287467340--