[Culturechat] Mediterranian Mindset etc.

Kraut907@aol.com Kraut907@aol.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 21:31:25 EST

--part1_3c.148513c1.2925d47d_boundary

I think this is a very personal  - in contrast to national - preference. For
example: I don't like to go where it's warm. Never wanted to go to the
Caribbean, but Iceland, Scandinavia  and Switzerland turn me on.
The majority of my former countryman, the Germans, however, crave the sun!!!!
This started early in history and prompted expeditions of Germanic tribes to
Rome and North Africa;of course, the warm Mediterranean breezes and
everything that is so enticingly southern, brought about their ruin.
Today, Mallorca and the Spanish Costa Brava, for example, have been taken
over by German tourists. They roast in the sun to get a fabulous tan; even at
home, they squeeze the most out of every sunbeam that comes their way, and if
it's raining, they hang out at the tanning salon.
I'd like to add a word or two to the education issue: Germany's educational
system is similar to the one in CH, as Vance described it. I see two big
advantages to this approach: by separating advanced academic and vocational
education you don't have to drag everyone through high school, thereby
assuring a higher niveau of study. And, in the vocational track, not only do
you train top-notch artisans and craftsmen through the Lehrlings
(apprentices) system, but by teaching them business German and math in
vocational school, you equip them with enough knowledge to run their own
business, as soon as they have become Master in their trade.
A huge disadvantage: the decision whether to go the vocational route or the
one leading to the baccalaureate and to university is made when the child is
ten  - way to early!        Your cold-weather friends Sigrid.

--part1_3c.148513c1.2925d47d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>I think this is a very personal &nbsp;- in contrast to national - preference. For example: I don't like to go where it's warm. Never wanted to go to the Caribbean, but Iceland, Scandinavia &nbsp;and Switzerland turn me on.
<BR>The majority of my former countryman, the Germans, however, crave the sun!!!!
<BR>This started early in history and prompted expeditions of Germanic tribes to Rome and North Africa;of course, the warm Mediterranean breezes and everything that is so enticingly southern, brought about their ruin.
<BR>Today, Mallorca and the Spanish Costa Brava, for example, have been taken over by German tourists. They roast in the sun to get a fabulous tan; even at home, they squeeze the most out of every sunbeam that comes their way, and if it's raining, they hang out at the tanning salon.
<BR>I'd like to add a word or two to the education issue: Germany's educational system is similar to the one in CH, as Vance described it. I see two big advantages to this approach: by separating advanced academic and vocational education you don't have to drag everyone through high school, thereby assuring a higher niveau of study. And, in the vocational track, not only do you train top-notch artisans and craftsmen through the Lehrlings (apprentices) system, but by teaching them business German and math in vocational school, you equip them with enough knowledge to run their own business, as soon as they have become Master in their trade.
<BR>A huge disadvantage: the decision whether to go the vocational route or the one leading to the baccalaureate and to university is made when the child is ten &nbsp;- way to early! &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Your cold-weather friends Sigrid.</FONT></HTML>

--part1_3c.148513c1.2925d47d_boundary--