[Culturechat] Mediterranian Mindset etc.

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:15:56 +0100

Sigrid's comments explain some things to me.

Now, I know why so many people run up to the high places when the fog
moves in for a week or so here. To see them jump off cable car gondolas
and shed clothes like they were on fire, to sit in the sun, has been a
puzzle to me until now.

There are some other people in the world (at least one other) that think
cold weather is fun. I have lived most of my life before CH in the deep
south. It never was much fun to stand around and listen to each other drip.

There is such a thing as SAD, and most of the Germans must have it. SAD
is short for "Seasonal Affective Disorder." These people get seriously
depressed when they lack sunshine for a period. Something to do with the
pineal gland and lack of Melatonin. Evidently, popping a few melatonin
pills won't help that. One of the local docs here tells me that he
prescribes more mood elevator chemicals in the Nov-Jan. period than he
does all the rest of the year. I find myself getting a bit in a funk
when we have too many sunny days. I miss those rainy and foggy days for
a good book and a nap.

On the educational issue, in CH at least, it is now possible to avoid being "locked in" to a trade, if you decide it isn't to your liking. Sure, there may be some wasted time, but it is possible to cross over later.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch.