[Culturechat] Chlausjaeger

Lewis & Helen lenlewis@netcarrier.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:55:51 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C16C29.6080D780

Vance Roy's story about the parade with the bells and the unholy noise =
they made reminded me of the first time we had our grandchildren to =
Switzerland.  We were staying in Reuti and early one evening just as it =
got dark we heard this "unholy" noise up on the main street.  We didn't =
know what it was - fire alarm, or what!  Our daughter and grandchildren =
ran up the hill to investigate and soon the kids were running down the =
hill calling out to us to come quick.  They said there were a whole =
bunch of men walking through the village carrying very large bells.  =
They solemnly walked down the street and then back and finally down the =
hill near our apartment to a house where they partied for the rest of =
the night, except for a time or two when they walked through the village =
again.  We found out that it was a bachelor send off for one of the =
young men in the village.  This summer when my husband and I visited =
Ballenberg on a misty cool day we took our time and read all the =
information to be found in each house!  In the house where a display is =
set up about weddings we discovered that each village had its own =
Bachelor Club which set the courting rules for the village and even =
fined someone from another village who was courting a girl from their =
village!   We were wondering if the celebration we watched was a modern =
day Bachelor Club in action.

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C16C29.6080D780

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Vance Roy's story about the parade with =
the bells=20
and the unholy noise they made reminded me of the first time we had our=20
grandchildren to Switzerland.&nbsp; We were staying in Reuti and early =
one=20
evening just as it got dark we heard this "unholy" noise up on the main=20
street.&nbsp; We didn't know what it was - fire alarm, or what!&nbsp; =
Our=20
daughter and grandchildren ran up the hill to investigate and soon the =
kids were=20
running down the hill calling out to us to come quick.&nbsp; They said =
there=20
were a whole bunch of men walking through the village carrying very =
large=20
bells.&nbsp; They solemnly walked down the street and then back and =
finally down=20
the hill near our apartment to a house where they partied for the rest =
of the=20
night, except for a time or two when they walked through the village=20
again.&nbsp; We found out that it was a bachelor send off for one of the =
young=20
men in the village.&nbsp; This summer when my husband and I visited =
Ballenberg=20
on a misty cool day we took our time and read all the information to be =
found in=20
each house!&nbsp; In the house where a display is set up about weddings =
we=20
discovered that each village had its own Bachelor Club which set the =
courting=20
rules for the village and even fined someone from another village who =
was=20
courting a girl from their village!&nbsp;&nbsp; We were wondering if the =

celebration we watched was a modern day Bachelor Club in=20
action.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C16C29.6080D780--