[Culturechat] The Mediterranean Mindset Theory...

Brian Taussig-Lux bt@untours.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:20:58 -0500

--=====================_108874018==_.ALT

Personally, I find that I am drawn to both Mediterranean cultures and
Northern European cultures.  I have noticed something interesting among my
European friends and acquaintances, though.  It seems like Northern
Europeans are often drawn to Italy, France, Spain, Greece, etc.  For some,
it is the beaches and the warm climate that draw them, but I know many
others that are quite interested in the food and lifestyle of the
Mediterranean.

Conversely, I don't think that Southern Europeans are very intrigued by the
food and lifestyle of their Northern counterparts.  How many German
restaurants have you seen in Florence?  How many Italian or Greek
restaurants have you seen in Vienna?  How many Spaniards vacation in the
Swiss alps?  I wonder what the barriers are?  Some are certainly economic,
but I think there is more going on.

At 03:06 PM 11/8/01 -0500, you wrote:
>In a nutshell, I find life in Italy wonderful.  I visit at least once per
>year and fall very easily into the Italian way of life.  Long, lingering
>lunches, Sunday visits with "nonna", passeggiate (strolls) after dinner
>and the way Italians arrive fashionably late for everything.  Even the
>fact that the trains are rarely on time doesn't frustrate me.
>
>Not that I haven't loved my visits to Switzerland and Germany, the
>efficiency and punctuality are wonderful, but I feel more at ease, more
>myself in Italy.  And, I felt much the same when I visited Spain and
>southern France.  I like that laid-back way of life the  Mediterranean
>countries share.
>
>Is there such a thing as a Mediterranean Mindset and a Northern European
>Mindset?  Do you believe there could be such a thing in Americans or any
>citizens of the planet for that matter?
>
>Does your personality predict which countries you are drawn to (yearn to
>spend time in)?
>Do you feel more comfortable, more "at home" in Italy or Spain as opposed
>to Switzerland or Austria?
>Or does it have more to do with accessing a coastline versus climbing a
>mountain?
>Or, is your destination determined by your personality type?
>Why is it that some travelers return to the same European location year
>after year?

Brian Taussig-Lux
Idyll, Ltd.

(888) 868-6871 x33

--=====================_108874018==_.ALT

Personally, I find that I am drawn to both Mediterranean cultures and
Northern European cultures.&nbsp; I have noticed something interesting
among my European friends and acquaintances, though.&nbsp; It seems like
Northern Europeans are often drawn to Italy, France, Spain, Greece,
etc.&nbsp; For some, it is the beaches and the warm climate that draw
them, but I know many others that are quite interested in the food and
lifestyle of the Mediterranean.&nbsp; <br>
Conversely, I don't think that Southern Europeans are very intrigued by
the food and lifestyle of their Northern counterparts.&nbsp; How many
German restaurants have you seen in Florence?&nbsp; How many Italian or
Greek restaurants have you seen in Vienna?&nbsp; How many Spaniards
vacation in the Swiss alps?&nbsp; I wonder what the barriers are?&nbsp;
Some are certainly economic, but I think there is more going on.<br>
At 03:06 PM 11/8/01 -0500, you wrote:<br>
wonderful.&nbsp; I visit at least once per year and fall very easily into
the Italian way of life.&nbsp; Long, lingering lunches, Sunday visits
with “nonna”, passeggiate (strolls) after dinner and the way Italians
arrive fashionably late <b>for everything</b>.&nbsp; Even the fact that
the trains are rarely on time doesn't frustrate me. <br>
Not that I haven't loved my visits to Switzerland and Germany, the
efficiency and punctuality are wonderful, but I feel more at ease, more
myself in Italy.&nbsp; And, I felt much the same when I visited Spain and
southern France.&nbsp; I like that laid-back way of life the&nbsp;
Mediterranean countries share.&nbsp; <br>
Is there such a thing as a Mediterranean Mindset and a Northern European
Mindset?&nbsp; Do you believe there could be such a thing in Americans or
any citizens of the planet for that matter?<br>
Does your personality predict which countries you are drawn to (yearn to
spend time in)?<br>
Do you feel more comfortable, more “at home” in Italy or Spain as opposed
to Switzerland or Austria?<br>
Or does it have more to do with accessing a coastline versus climbing a
mountain?&nbsp; <br>
Or, is your destination determined by your personality type?<br>
Why is it that some travelers return to the same European location year
after year?&nbsp; </blockquote><br>

Brian Taussig-Lux <br>
Idyll, Ltd. <br>
(888) 868-6871 x33<br>