[Culturechat] The Mediterranean Mindset Theory...

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:47:46 +0100

It is true that a lot of northern European folks go south. I look at it
as sort of going to the zoo to see and experience the interesting things
there. On the other hand, given the temperament of the southerners, why
would they want to leave a laid back life style and come north for a
more regimented one?

I haven't spent much time in Germany, but one sees a lot of Italian,
Spanish, and French here in CH during August and especially during the
winter sports season. In the summer, I think the whole country of
Holland picks up and comes here in campers. I wonder how many Swiss go
to Holland? I do know that the Germans consistently are the most
numerous tourists to come to CH. I guess it isn't such a culture shock
for them.

As for restaurants, why would a German want to be in Italy for the time
consuming work of running a German restaurant? He would have to live
there! As I mentioned to Andi, there are those of us who squeeze the
toothpaste tube in the middle and those of us who like to roll it
tightly from the end. Guess who is who, the northerners or the southerners?

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch.