[Culturechat] The Mediterranean Mindset Theory...

philip king jane@mc.net
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:53:15 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C16B68.3BA7AD60

    Some great questions!  I wonder if any valid research has been done =
along these lines?  The division does seem to be present among our =
friends, but I never thought about connecting it to personality type.
    I, personally, feel more at home in Switzerland than any other =
country we've visited (even Austria); I don't know why this is.  Can't =
be the mountains; I love the Swiss Alps but feel uncomfortable in the =
Rockies.  Can't be the language; my German is serviceable but scant, and =
Swiss German is beyond me.  I like the Swiss hospitality and general =
attitude toward life, but we've found people to be hospitable and =
helpful (albeit in different ways) in every country we've visited.  I =
think the efficiency has something to do with it; I like the =
dependability of knowing that if something is supposed to happen at a =
certain time it will, indeed, occur, and that plumbing, electricity, and =
other small comforts will perform as expected (and if they don't, the =
problem will be corrected immediately). =20
    I've seen the Swiss characterized as dull and predictable.  I don't =
find this to be true at all--but maybe it's because it reflects my own =
personality!

Jane
   =20
  Is there such a thing as a Mediterranean Mindset and a Northern =
European Mindset?  Do you believe there could be such a thing in =
Americans or any citizens of the planet for that matter?

  Does your personality predict which countries you are drawn to (yearn =
to spend time in)?
  Do you feel more comfortable, more "at home" in Italy or Spain as =
opposed to Switzerland or Austria?
  Or does it have more to do with accessing a coastline versus climbing =
a mountain? =20
  Or, is your destination determined by your personality type?
  Why is it that some travelers return to the same European location =
year after year? =20

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C16B68.3BA7AD60

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Some great questions!&nbsp; I =
wonder if any=20
valid research has been done along these lines?&nbsp; The division does =
seem to=20
be present among our friends, but I never thought about connecting it to =

personality type.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I, personally,&nbsp;feel more at =
home in=20
Switzerland than any other country we've visited (even Austria); I don't =
know=20
why this is.&nbsp; Can't be the mountains; I love the Swiss Alps but =
feel=20
uncomfortable in the Rockies.&nbsp; Can't be the language; my German is=20
serviceable but scant,&nbsp;and Swiss German is beyond me.&nbsp; I like =
the=20
Swiss hospitality and general attitude toward life, but we've found =
people to be=20
hospitable and helpful (albeit in different ways) in every country we've =

visited.&nbsp; I think the efficiency has something to do with it; I =
like the=20
dependability of knowing that if something is supposed to happen at a =
certain=20
time it will, indeed, occur, and that plumbing, electricity, and other =
small=20
comforts will perform as expected (and if they don't, the problem will =
be=20
corrected immediately).&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I've seen the Swiss characterized =
as dull=20
and predictable.&nbsp; I don't find this to be true at all--but maybe =
it's=20
because it reflects my own personality!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Jane</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">Is=20
  there such a thing as a Mediterranean Mindset and a Northern European=20
  Mindset?&nbsp; Do you believe there could be such a thing in Americans =
or any=20
  citizens of the planet for that matter?<BR><BR>Does your personality =
predict=20
  which countries you are drawn to (yearn to spend time in)?<BR>Do you =
feel more=20
  comfortable, more &#8220;at home&#8221; in Italy or Spain as opposed =
to Switzerland or=20
  Austria?<BR>Or does it have more to do with accessing a coastline =
versus=20
  climbing a mountain?&nbsp; <BR>Or, is your destination determined by =
your=20
  personality type?<BR>Why is it that some travelers return to the same =
European=20
  location year after year?&nbsp; <BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C16B68.3BA7AD60--