[Culturechat] The Mediterranean Mindset Theory...

Andi Cancelliere Andi.Cancelliere@untours.com
Thu, 08 Nov 2001 15:06:37 -0500

--=====================_931603==_.ALT

In a nutshell, I find life in Italy wonderful.  I visit at least once per
year and fall very easily into the Italian way of life.  Long, lingering
lunches, Sunday visits with "nonna", passeggiate (strolls) after dinner and
the way Italians arrive fashionably late for everything.  Even the fact
that the trains are rarely on time doesn't frustrate me.

Not that I haven't loved my visits to Switzerland and Germany, the
efficiency and punctuality are wonderful, but I feel more at ease, more
myself in Italy.  And, I felt much the same when I visited Spain and
southern France.  I like that laid-back way of life the  Mediterranean
countries share.

Is there such a thing as a Mediterranean Mindset and a Northern European
Mindset?  Do you believe there could be such a thing in Americans or any
citizens of the planet for that matter?

Does your personality predict which countries you are drawn to (yearn to
spend time in)?
Do you feel more comfortable, more "at home" in Italy or Spain as opposed
to Switzerland or Austria?
Or does it have more to do with accessing a coastline versus climbing a
mountain?
Or, is your destination determined by your personality type?
Why is it that some travelers return to the same European location year
after year?

--=====================_931603==_.ALT

In a nutshell, I find life in Italy wonderful.&nbsp; I visit at least
once per year and fall very easily into the Italian way of life.&nbsp;
Long, lingering lunches, Sunday visits with “nonna”, passeggiate
(strolls) after dinner and the way Italians arrive fashionably late
<b>for everything</b>.&nbsp; Even the fact that the trains are rarely on
time doesn't frustrate me. <br>
Not that I haven't loved my visits to Switzerland and Germany, the
efficiency and punctuality are wonderful, but I feel more at ease, more
myself in Italy.&nbsp; And, I felt much the same when I visited Spain and
southern France.&nbsp; I like that laid-back way of life the&nbsp;
Mediterranean countries share.&nbsp; <br>
Is there such a thing as a Mediterranean Mindset and a Northern European
Mindset?&nbsp; Do you believe there could be such a thing in Americans or
any citizens of the planet for that matter?<br>
Does your personality predict which countries you are drawn to (yearn to
spend time in)?<br>
Do you feel more comfortable, more “at home” in Italy or Spain as opposed
to Switzerland or Austria?<br>
Or does it have more to do with accessing a coastline versus climbing a
mountain?&nbsp; <br>
Or, is your destination determined by your personality type?<br>
Why is it that some travelers return to the same European location year
after year?&nbsp; <br>