[Culturechat] Sammiclaus

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Fri, 07 Dec 2001 12:04:26 +0100

Last night was the coming of Sammiclaus. Several years ago, I wrote a
description of this Swiss Christmas tradition. It went by the wayside
when Idyll got a new ISP server, so you get it one more time.
******************************
Sammiclaus in Switzerland
******************************
I am called by some a Christmas Scrooge, and I will admit to feelings of
resentment over the way Christmas is treated in our modern world,
however nothing gives me more pleasure to be at a home when Sammiclaus
comes to see the family in Switzerland.

Sammiclaus' origins are cloudy in nature.  He is said to represent a
holy man who came from somewhere in the Mediterranean area hundreds of
years ago.  He was a charitable man who traveled through many countries
in Europe giving gifts, especially to children.  Some think that he was
really Saint Niklaus, and the modern name can be seen as familiar with
this name.

This is how it works.  On or about the tenth of December each year,
everyone gets ready for an evening of excitement.  There may be a
festive dinner, some music, or other entertainment, but there is a
definite air of anticipation.  All, especially the children, are dressed
in their best clothes.  As the evening progresses, the tension mounts.
Then, a knock at the door.  The father or mother goes to the door.
Everyone hears, "Good evening Sammiclaus."

A bearded man dressed in a bishop's red robes, peaked hat, and carrying
a huge staff, enters the room along with one or two helpers who are
dressed in white and carry bags.  Also in the back, there is the
"Schmutzi".  This man is dressed in all black and has a blackened face.
  He carries a bag of switches and is avoided by all.  All children know
that he is on the lookout for bad children. Sammiclaus carries a large
book.  He opens it and asks, "Where is Jonas (or some other name of a
child in the household).  The child steps forward (not without some
trepidation even in the older kids).  Sammiclaus then proceeds to read
from the book things about the child.  This takes the form of some
things that maybe need improvement, such as a clean room, wearing dirty
shoes in the house, etc.  Sammiclaus asks if these are true, but also
makes some comments about some good things that the child in question
has done (good grades, helping the mother, etc.).  There is of course, a
lot of twisting of braids, hands in pockets, shuffling of feet, licking
of lips, etc.  Then the child is asked if he has something to show
Sammiclaus.  If the child is old enough to walk up to Sammiclaus, there
is something done in the way of a poem, song, musical presentation, or
other talent displayed.  Sammiclaus is always favorably impressed and
asks his helper if there is anything in the bags for this child.  Then a
small gift as well as fruit and nuts are given out.  The gift is
secondary and is usually a small toy.  The process is then repeated with
all in the room.  Yes, the adults too!  I have on occasion sung Jingle
Bells, recited The Night before Christmas in German, or done something
else for Sammiclaus.  The funny thing is, he knows me and can speak
English too.  Could it be that the mother and father have some way of
communicating with Sammiclaus before he comes to town?  How does he
manage to see all the kids in the village in one night?  Lots of
questions that no one, even the oldest, dares to ask.

To watch the above scene played out, the children's excitement, the fun
that an inconsequential (no train sets, Barbie dolls, etc.  Here),
single gift can bring, warms even the most Scroogie of persons.  On a
cold December night with snow on the ground this does wonders for one's
attitude.

Of course in Switzerland, Christmas trees don't go up until Christmas
Eve, and St. Niklaus brings gifts either then or the next day.  There is
a Swiss saying that both the good and bad things cross the ocean in both
directions.  The simple and uncomplicated way a child here is pleased
with the simplicity of a small gift is very nice.  The instant
gratification attitude hasn't quite made it over to Switzerland yet.
Somehow, that makes Christmas more fun.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch.