[Culturechat] Recipe

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Thu, 06 Dec 2001 09:32:09 +0100

Kraut907@aol.com wrote:

> Vance, if you could get the Maggaronen recipe from Berit and put it on
> Culturechat, I would be very g rateful (and others probably too!) Thanks,
> Sigrid.

OK, here is a good recipe for Alpen Maggaronen. I don't think that you
can get the exact macaroni in the USA, but any short and tubular pasta
will work. Also, be sure that you use a white, high fat cheese, so it
will melt nicely. I use raclette cheese here.

You need:
some potatoes
some macaroni
some onions
some cheese
some applesauce

There are no amounts. This is a dish fixed by alpine farmers because
they had at hand all the ingredients. You just must wing it with
amounts. I use a ratio of about 3 parts noodle to 1 part potatoes.

The best part of the dish for some is the caramelized onions. The dish
isn't the same without them. Other than this, the recipe is simple.
Begin this part first because it takes longer. Fill a large frying pan
with onions ( a lot more than you think you will want ). Then put about
a cup of butter in the onions. Let them cook on a low to moderate heat
while you peel some potatoes and get a large pasta pot full of water
boiling. Cut the potatoes into cubes about an inch in dimension and add
to the boiling water. Stir the onions about every ten minutes. Let the
potatoes cook about ten minutes, and then add the noodles to cook
another ten minutes or so. While this is going on, stir the onions and
grate the cheese (you can't have too much, so grate a lot).

Remove the pot from the heat, stir the onions, and wait until they turn
a nice brown color. They will now be at less than a third of the volume
you put into the pan at the beginning. This is one of those things in
life that is worthwhile but takes time. Once the onions begin to turn,
it is similar to sex. Things go along for awhile so-so and then all of a
sudden things happen.

Now, drain the pot and return the noodle/potato mixture to it. Add the
cheese and caramelized onions, and stir. Some people like to add a
little cream if your cheese isn't gooey enough.

Serve this on a plate with applesauce as a side dish. It is also good
left over for breakfast.

A white wine goes well with this (except at breakfast).

--
Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch.