[Culturechat] Sachseln Gospel Culture

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Sun, 09 Dec 2001 21:43:27 +0100

Culture came to Sachseln tonight by way of The Gospel Wave. Actually, it
first came two years ago for the first time, but this was only the
second time there has been the fun of hearing this choir.

Imagine being in the big church in Sachseln, Bruder Klaus sarcophagus
right down in front, the marble splendor all around you, and seeing a
group of thirty or so native Swiss men and women all dressed in black
and white, singing gospel songs as if they were in some little deep
south church in the country. Also imagine both the choir and the
audience (for the most part) are caught up in the "spirit". It is as
much fun to watch these supposedly staid Swiss begin to rock back and
forth to the music, as it is to see the choir pulsate to and fro.

Now, I am a southern boy through and through. Except for my present
residence and the two years that I was a POW in Boston, I grew up with
this music. Not in my church understand, but in the churches where the
black folks spent all Sunday putting forth this gospel singing. I hope I
don't have to convince anyone that a given choir of white people can't
hold a candle to a black choir. I have seen black church buildings
literally moved with the spirit.

I have to say that both times that I have heard this Swiss group, I
could shut my eyes and "almost" feel the room move with their rhythm, as
it used to do. The funny thing is that most of these folks don't have
enough English vocabulary to be called English speakers. They can learn
the music and the moves though. I guess they watch a lot of videos of
American choirs.

For an hour plus, we had a real treat to songs as, "Satan, We Are Going
to Pray You Down" and "Jesus Dropped the Charges". If the old saint is
really in that sarcophagus, I'll bet there were some toes tapping in
there too!
--
Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch.