[Culturechat] A washingtonpost.com article from: samovar9@aol.com

Gerald J. Clancy, Jr. jclancy@billtrak.com
Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:25:36 -0500

--=====================_39791727==.ALT

Irv,

One of the points that jumped out from that article was that, in part due
to the increased time and difficulty of the commute, the burbs are becoming
more self-contained, ie, the businesses and services that folks can no
longer get to in the cities start migrating to the burbs themselves. It's
time, hassle and traffic stagnation (and its concomitant stress) that is
causing this, not the cost or lack of gasoline. Here in the East the cost
of housing in the near-NYC communities to a large degree is also driving
it, so people settle farther and farther away from the workplace.
Ironically, were that urbanization of the suburbs to continue [more local
services, fewer trips to the cities], the gas guzzling could tail off
before we run out, for some communities, anyway. This works better in dense
states like here in Jersey with reasonably good rail facilities and where
access to almost anything isn't too far away. Not sure about Nebraska.

Jerry

At 08:48 PM 2/8/2005, Kk5qq@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 2/8/2005 4:57:39 PM Central Standard Time,
>jclancy@billtrak.com writes:
>
>>"Once we acknowledge this
>>reality [that suburbs are here to stay], we can turn to the task of making
>>the best of it.
>

>No doubt the suburbs are here to stay, because there's not room in the
>center cities for all the people.  It's encouraging to learn, Jerry, that
>your town and the nearby one are becoming converted to exactly to allow
>what various futurists say will be desirable and necessary (i.e., walking
>to the market) when energy prices inevitably soar.  You're also fortunate
>if you have good public transit -- rail or otherwise -- so townspeople can
>get into the center city for cultural events, major medical care, etc.,
>that a small community can't support.
>
>The much maligned video "The End of Suburbia" is misnamed.  It's not truly
>the suburbs that will end; what will and indeed must end is the style of
>living that we in the suburbs have gotten accustomed to such as hopping in
>the car to drive five miles to a market.
>
>Irv Smith

--=====================_39791727==.ALT

Irv,<br><br>
[...]
away. Not sure about Nebraska.<br><br>
Jerry<br><br>
At 08:48 PM 2/8/2005, Kk5qq@aol.com wrote:<br>
message dated 2/8/2005 4:57:39 PM Central Standard Time,
jclancy@billtrak.com writes:<br><br>
we acknowledge this <br>
reality [that suburbs are here to stay], we can turn to the task of
making <br>
the best of it.</blockquote><br>
No doubt the suburbs are here to stay, because there's not room in the
center cities for all the people.&nbsp; It's encouraging to learn, Jerry,
that your town and the nearby one are becoming converted to exactly to
allow what various futurists say will be desirable and necessary (i.e.,
walking to the market) when energy prices inevitably soar.&nbsp; You're
also fortunate if you have good public transit -- rail or otherwise -- so
townspeople can get into the center city for cultural events, major
medical care, etc., that a small community can't support.<br><br>
The much maligned video &quot;The End of Suburbia&quot; is
misnamed.&nbsp; It's not truly the suburbs that will end; what will and
indeed must end is the style of living that we in the suburbs have gotten
accustomed to such as hopping in the car to drive five miles to a
market.<br><br>