[Culturechat] A washingtonpost.com article from: samovar9@aol.com

Kk5qq@aol.com Kk5qq@aol.com
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:48:32 EST

--part1_42.627339ee.2f3ac5f0_boundary

In a message dated 2/8/2005 4:57:39 PM Central Standard Time,
jclancy@billtrak.com writes:

> "Once we acknowledge this
> reality [that suburbs are here to stay], we can turn to the task of making
> the best of it.

No doubt the suburbs are here to stay, because there's not room in the center
cities for all the people.  It's encouraging to learn, Jerry, that your town
and the nearby one are becoming converted to exactly to allow what various
futurists say will be desirable and necessary (i.e., walking to the market) when
energy prices inevitably soar.  You're also fortunate if you have good public
transit -- rail or otherwise -- so townspeople can get into the center city
for cultural events, major medical care, etc., that a small community can't
support.

The much maligned video "The End of Suburbia" is misnamed.  It's not truly
the suburbs that will end; what will and indeed must end is the style of living
that we in the suburbs have gotten accustomed to such as hopping in the car to
drive five miles to a market.

Irv Smith

--part1_42.627339ee.2f3ac5f0_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT  SIZE=3D3 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=
=3D"SCRIPT" FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 2/8/2005 4:=
57:39 PM Central Standard Time, jclancy@billtrak.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000"=
 BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 F=
AMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">"Once we acknowledge this <BR>
reality [that suburbs are here to stay], we can turn to the task of making <=

the best of it.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=20=
#ffffff" SIZE=3D3 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=3D"SCRIPT" FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS" LANG=
=3D"0"><BR>
No doubt the suburbs are here to stay, because there's not room in the cente=
r cities for all the people.&nbsp; It's encouraging to learn, Jerry, that yo=
ur town and the nearby one are becoming converted to exactly to allow what v=
arious futurists say will be desirable and necessary (i.e., walking to the m=
arket) when energy prices inevitably soar.&nbsp; You're also fortunate if yo=
u have good public transit -- rail or otherwise -- so townspeople can get in=
to the center city for cultural events, major medical care, etc., that a sma=
ll community can't support.<BR>
<BR>
The much maligned video "The End of Suburbia" is misnamed.&nbsp; It's not tr=
uly the suburbs that will end; what will and indeed must end is the style of=
 living that we in the suburbs have gotten accustomed to such as hopping in=20=
the car to drive five miles to a market.<BR>
<BR>
Irv Smith</FONT></HTML>

--part1_42.627339ee.2f3ac5f0_boundary--