[Culturechat] Swiss Analysis of Iraq & Peak World Oil Production

Bob Bestor bob@gemut.com
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 10:36:59 -0700

--============_-1126011071==_ma============

>Speaking as a West Texas oilman, I think that we have a lot to learn
>from the Europeans.

Can't argue that, except F. William Engdahl, the author of the piece
referred to in the email that started this thread, is not a European.
He was born in Texas and educated at Princeton. The point of the
article in question - and in others Mr. Engdahl has written - is that
the United States is in Iraq.to protect its oil interests. The second
sentence of his piece reads "There is compelling evidence that oil
and geopolitics lie at the heart of the still-hidden reasons for the
military action in Iraq." From there he goes on to support his
thesis. As important as such a discussion may be, nothing in the
article can remotely be construed to fit within the topic guidelines
for this listserv. See
http://www.currentconcerns.ch/archive/2004/01/20040118.php.

I recall several fascinating posts by Vance Roy about life in
Switzerland and the nuances of the relationships he and his wife have
with Swiss friends. Those, I submit, are what culturechat is about;
not a treatise by an American scholar/journalist with a specific
political viewpoint on why the U.S. invaded Iraq.

Bob Bestor

--
Robert Bestor Associates
288 Ridge Road

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Re: [Culturechat] Swiss Analysis of Iraq &amp; Peak
Texas oilman, I think that we have a lot to learn from the
Europeans.</font></blockquote>
piece referred to in the email that started this thread, is not a
European. He was born in Texas and educated at Princeton. The point of
the article in question - and in others Mr. Engdahl has written -
is that the United States is in Iraq.to protect its oil
interests.<font color="#000000"> The second sentence of his piece
reads "There is compelling evidence that oil and geopolitics lie at
the heart of the still-hidden reasons for the military action in
Iraq.</font>" From there he goes on to support his thesis. As
important as such a discussion may be, nothing in the article can
remotely be construed to fit within the topic guidelines for this
listserv. See<font color="#000000">
http://www.currentconcerns.ch/archive/2004/01/20040118.php.</font></div

Roy about life in Switzerland and the nuances of the relationships he
and his wife have with Swiss friends. Those, I submit, are what
culturechat is about; not a treatise by an American scholar/journalist
with a specific political viewpoint on why the U.S. invaded
Iraq.</font></div>
color="#000000">&nbsp;<br>
We need a higher gasoline tax, and I would be in favor of an
escalating tax on larger vehicles--a tax that doubles for every 1,000
pound increase in curb weight.&nbsp;&nbsp; And we desperately need to
start pushing an aggressive wind power program.&nbsp; We need to start
moving toward much smaller homes, and townhomes/apartments that are in
close proximity to where we work, so that we can, as much as possible,
walk to work, or take mass transit.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>
There is probably a 50% chance of serious blackouts this summer on the
coasts.&nbsp; Next summer, we are probably looking at a 90%+ chance of
blackouts.&nbsp;&nbsp; Northeastern utilities in the U.S. have already
said that they can't guarantee natural gas supplies beyond the
2004/2005 winter.&nbsp;<br>
In the U.S., each person uses the energy equivalent of an eight ounce
cup of oil every 12 minutes, or about seven gallons of oil equivalent
per day per person.&nbsp;&nbsp; If, as I believe, we are approaching
the peak of world oil production, the resentment that some people
around the world have shown the U.S. because of Iraq is NOTHING
compared to what will come, when we try to keep using the same amount
of energy, in a world of declining energy supplies.&nbsp;<br>
If you want to read the worst case, go to www.dieoff.org and click on
energy synopsis.&nbsp;<br>
J. Brown</font></blockquote>
<x-sigsep><pre>--