[Culturechat] Swiss Analysis of Iraq & Peak World Oil Production

Paul Nick pmnick@earthlink.net
Mon, 31 May 2004 21:37:45 -0400

I see Bob's point, of course, and agree to the extent that if we start
talking about the upcoming presidential election or whether Rumsfield
should resign, then we're straying too far for Culturechat.  However, I
think Vance was right to send out a brief post with a Swiss-based link
that, for those (perhaps few!) of us who are interested, let us know
what at least one European thinks about world events that affect and
concern everyone.

Maybe I'm too close to this particular issue, though.  I was on the
Holland Untour when the Iraq war broke out last March.  There were
plenty of Dutch citizens who were anxious to discuss these events with
us.  Fortunately, few were hostile about it, but to be honest, I didn't
mind.  I've found that the more I travel, the more I appreciate where I
left.

(I was glad that I brought my portable shortwave radio, which someone
on the regular Idyllchat forum recommended to me, as I was able to get
the latest news through the BBC.)

Anyway, I think Vance's post was appropriate, though to be honest, I
disagree with much of the author's somewhat arrogant
oversimplifications.   But I think it's important for those of us
living in the U.S. to know how others view our actions, even if we
promptly delete the message and don't save the link.

My $0.02