[Culturechat] Air travel and airplanes

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 21:10:03 +0100

Most of you know about the Flash Airline charter that went down in the
Red Sea a few days ago.

I assume that most of the modern countries in the world have some sort
of civil aviation authority, but I had never considered the fact that
certain airlines can be forbidden to enter a given country. I figured
it was a matter  of business economics. Turns out that it isn't just
that.

For over two years, the Swiss Aviation Board has forbidden Flash to fly
into Swiss airspace. The plane that crashed was among 23 that they
forbid. They did not say what other airlines were included in this
denial. A Flash plane did land in Geneva some months ago, but this was
due to a declared emergency. The denial was due to a combination of
poor maintenance, defective or MISSING instruments, and lack of other
working equipment.

Now, I have to see the list of other forbidden airlines, so I don't
wind up on one of those.

Of course the Egyptians are hopping made that this was made public, and
I expect that some French Aviation Authority tails are in the crack too.

Vance Roy
Autopsy, burn, and bury. Make sure he is gone.
Winston Churchill on the death of a political opponent.
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com/fredch