[Culturechat] What does Jim Kunstler know?

Barbara Roy broy@dplanet.ch
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:20:45 +0100

    Since it's the Christmas season, I thought I could hold off
responding to Kunstler's recent: "Thoughts upon returning from Europe,"
wherein he stereotyped Americans as pathological and pervasively fat,
miserable, impoverished, alienated, depressed, demoralized,  conspicuous
consuming TV addicts, etc., etc.  I can't wait, however!  My hope is
that no one will have time to read this, because it is not my intention
to give him any more attention. However, as an American who lives and
works in Europe, I felt I must respond.  How any presumably intelligent
human being can compare what he "observed, "as a mid- December tourist,
in Paris and Amsterdam, to the complexities of American people and
culture is absolutely beyond me.  C'mon!! If we are going to make such
stupid simplistic comparisons, let's do apples with apples and oranges
with oranges!  If that is even possible or necessary.
    It is true that we Americans are on average "fatter" than Europeans,
even though on a per capita basis, we eat less chocolate and consume
less beer.   That is the only one of Kunstler's "observations" with
which I can agree.  However, I am sure the reasons for the differences
are more complex than reducing us to lonely lumps eating our cheez
doodles and frozen pizza, waddling through the aisles of warehouse
depots, having just dropped off our children at local movie theaters to
be entertained. Unbelievable, that anyone could write such a thing.  My
only thought is that Mr. Kunstler must like to stir the pot and get
people's attention anyway he can.  He got mine.
    Having just returned from a day of shopping in Zürich, I have some
of my own "observations," and a few facts to add as well.  Here are just
a few of them.
   The department stores, shops and restaurants were all mobbed.
Standing rooms only. The more upscale gourmet markets and designer
stores were the most crowded.  People were consuming in every sense of
the word.  Shopping. Having gifts wrapped.  Eating. Drinking.  Buying
DVDS and CDS for "at home" (?couch potato) enjoyment.  Spending money.
Christmas is very big here as it throughout Europe. Decorations have
been up for almost a month now.
    People weren't dressed up or even well dressed.   For every hundred
people I passed, I saw maybe 1 or 2 who could "pass" as business types
in major US cities.  I saw a few women in mink coats.  They looked out
of place.  Jeans, sweatshirts, baggy sweaters, scarves, parkas, etc.
That's what I saw.
    There were huge traffic jams.  Believe it or not, not everyone rides
the trains.
    We passed three Starbucks coffeehouses within a half mile radius.
 They were jammed packed. Caramel macchiatos are as popular here as in
the US. They are as expensive too.  Trendy?  Yes.
     People smoke.  Alot.  Men, women, young teens and pregnant women.
 They have no qualms about  blowing smoke in your face either.  It is
hard to find "non-smoking" areas anyplace.  And to think, that in good
old New York city, people don't have to suffer from second hand smoke
anymore.
    People drink.  Alot.  Even in the middle of the day. Beer, wine,
schnapps, etc.  American wines are in and much more of a status symbol
than French or even Australian wines.
    Guess what too?  We saw a decorated department store - sponsored
trolley, being driven down a main street by a Santa, filled with young
children whose parents were presumably shopping elsewhere. Abandoned
children?  I don't think so.  Smart marketing? Yes.
    The conversations I overhead (and believe me, I love to listen to
others) didn't seem any more or less "meaningful" or significant than
anywhere else in the world.  I don't have anything solid to base this on
however, just observations.  From general appearances, some people
seemed happy, but more seemed stressed, tired, and caught up in the
holiday bustle.
    Oh well, nevertheless, it was a great day, but no more fun than it
would have been in any other capital US city.
    Now for a few facts.  People in Europe take antidepressants  too.
They have plenty of stress and problems of all sorts.  Does Mr. Kunstler
have any idea how many medications the average French person takes on a
regular basis?  Check it out.  Divorce is prevalent.  The divorce rate
in Switzerland is as high as in the US.  Domestic violence is growing.
Folks have huge TV's and entertainment centers. Most homes have
computers.  Mobile phones for teenagers are de rigeur.  Frozen pizza and
other fast foods are popular.  Take-out meals are on the upswing. Casual
dress is the norm. Get my point?
    Isn't it possible that in the end, people are people, wherever we
live?  Aren't we all more alike than different?  I think so.  I believe
most of us want to live and work and love the best we can.  It's our
friends and loved ones who matter most. We try to do the best we can
with what we've got.
    I live and work here most of the year, but I am and will always be
an American and proud of it.
So let's stop now with these silly cultural comparisons.  We're just all
people, connected in more ways than not.
    Happy holidays to anyone who has the time to read this.

Barbara Crowell Roy
Sachseln, Switzerland
December 22, 2004