[Culturechat] Jim Kunstler's Thoughts, upon returning from Europe

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:05:56 EST

--part1_13c.91941da.2ef9dc24_boundary

In a message dated 12/20/04 6:57:17 PM, bob@gemut.com writes:

> A guy who, in the title of his blog, uses a crude expression for group sex,
> and who includes Zippy the Pinhead and the dysfunctional cartoonist, Robert
> Crumb, among his favorite web links, simply cannot be taken seriously.

In the End of Suburbia (EOS) DVD, Jim explains his use of the "CF" term.   He
said uses the term because it shocks people--because they need to be shocked.
    If you really want a complete presentation of his views, you might want
to buy a copy of EOS.   (I bought 30 copies of it from the Post Carbon
Institute and handed them out to friends).

In EOS and in his books, Jim actually goes into considerable historical
analysis of the suburbs.   Originally located along mass transit lines, they were
actually pretty good ideas, but they have morphed into this monstrosity that is
totally dependent on cheap energy and that is voraciously devouring prime
farmland.   By the way, the U.S. Department of Agriculture predicts that next
year, for the first time in over 50 years, the U.S. will become a net importer of
food.

What Jim--and the New Urbanism guys--are advocating is a return to
traditional "Main Street" designs, especially densely populated, walkable communities
with residential, commercial and retail in close proximity to each other.

Jim is so over the top because he mourns for the country that we used to
have.

J. Brown

--part1_13c.91941da.2ef9dc24_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Gen=
eva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2">In a message dated 12/20/04 6:57:17 PM,=
 bob@gemut.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE CITE STYLE=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;=20=
MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px" TYPE=3D"CITE"></FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0=
00000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2">A guy who, in the tit=
le of his blog, uses a crude expression for group sex, and who includes Zipp=
y the Pinhead and the dysfunctional cartoonist, Robert Crumb, among his favo=
rite web links, simply cannot be taken seriously.</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000=
00" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2"><BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSE=
RIF" SIZE=3D"2"><BR>
In the End of Suburbia (EOS) DVD, Jim explains his use of the "CF" term.&nbs=
p;  He said uses the term because it shocks people--because they need to be=20=
shocked.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;  If you really want a complete presentation of hi=
s views, you might want to buy a copy of EOS.&nbsp;  (I bought 30 copies of=20=
it from the Post Carbon Institute and handed them out to friends).<BR>
<BR>
In EOS and in his books, Jim actually goes into considerable historical anal=
ysis of the suburbs.&nbsp;  Originally located along mass transit lines, the=
y were actually pretty good ideas, but they have morphed into this monstrosi=
ty that is totally dependent on cheap energy and that is voraciously devouri=
ng prime farmland.&nbsp;  By the way, the U.S. Department of Agriculture pre=
dicts that next year, for the first time in over 50 years, the U.S. will bec=
ome a net importer of food.&nbsp;  <BR>
<BR>
What Jim--and the New Urbanism guys--are advocating is a return to tradition=
al "Main Street" designs, especially densely populated, walkable communities=
 with residential, commercial and retail in close proximity to each other.&n=
bsp;&nbsp;  <BR>
<BR>
Jim is so over the top because he mourns for the country that we used to hav=
e.&nbsp;  <BR>
<BR>
J. Brown<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"=
2"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"=
2"></FONT></HTML>
--part1_13c.91941da.2ef9dc24_boundary--