[Culturechat] Jim Kunstler's Thoughts, upon returning from Europe

Samovar9@aol.com Samovar9@aol.com
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:27:49 EST

-------------------------------1103596069

Bob Bestor makes a good point and I wouldn't argue with it but  Kunstler's
argument shouldn't be ignored.  I'm a retired Foreign Service  Officer and have
spent many years in Europe - Germany, Italy, Denmark,  France.  Except perhaps
for Germany, it is difficult to find anywhere near  as many fat people in
Europe as here.  Also, they live amazingly well,  given that their income is
usually lower than ours. They are better dressed than  we, keep restaurants
crowded, have more holidays and vacation periods.   Once in Copenhagen, when I was
looking for a new Danish employee, I found just  the right man with an advanced
degree in economics.  He was about to agree  when he asked what his vacation
period would be. When I told him it would be two  weeks for the first three
years and then gradually move to a month, he politely  declined saying he would
never take a job that offered less than a month which  is the norm in most of
Europe.  Of course, they have their own  problems.  Unemployment is high,
particularly in Germany but unemployment  benefits provide a floor and almost-free
medical care helps relieve the  burden.

As Kunstler suggests, the ideal life we once imagined for suburbia (I live
in a suburb of Washington) has its down-side.  Aside from the requirement  of
cars, the suburbs have deadened life in center cities.  Some of  that is
changing.  Washington is rebuilding several areas near city center,  replacing auto
lots, the old Washington Convention building and others with  upscale
apartment buildings that will bring some life back to the city but we  have a long way
to go before we create ideal cities with good public  transportation and
lively streets.

That said, I'd still rather live here but I recognize the problems that
Kunstler cites as real.  To call him anti-American as someone did is  mistaken.
One is not anti-American if he/she talks about problems in the  hope of
bringing to our attention and eventually resolving them.   We are not necessarily
better off than the rest of the world.  We would not  do ourselves harm if we
engaged in more self-criticism and looked at what others  may be doing better
than we.

Paul

In a message dated 12/20/2004 7:57:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,