[Culturechat] Jim Kunstler's Thoughts, upon returning from Europe

Bob Bestor bob@gemut.com
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:56:31 -0800

--============_-1108531901==_ma============

Kunstler speaks only of what's wrong with America, not what's right.
It's quite amazing that a society of fat,=20
TV-addicted, mall shoppers has produced most of=20
the technological advances the world has seen in=20
the past 50 years, developed the vast majority of=20
life-saving and life-enhancing drugs, won the=20
battle against fascism and communism, and=20
produced the most Nobel Laureates, 270 - more=20
than Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland,=20
Netherlands, Austria, Sweden, USSR, Denmark,=20
Spain, Japan and Australia, combined.
Do we have problems? Of course, (in both red and=20
blue states) but so do the European countries Mr.=20
Kunstler mentions.
A guy who, in the title of his blog, uses a crude=20
expression for group sex, and who includes Zippy=20
the Pinhead and the dysfunctional cartoonist,=20
Robert Crumb, among his favorite web links,=20
simply cannot be taken seriously.
Bob Bestor

--
--============_-1108531901==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Re: [Culturechat] Jim Kunstler's Thoughts, upon
right.</div>
shoppers has produced most of the technological advances the world has
seen in the past 50 years, developed the vast majority of life-saving
and life-enhancing drugs, won the battle against fascism and
communism, and produced the most Nobel Laureates, 270 - more than
Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, Netherlands, Austria, Sweden,
states) but so do the European countries Mr. Kunstler mentions.</div>
group sex, and who includes Zippy the Pinhead and the dysfunctional
cartoonist, Robert Crumb, among his favorite web links, simply cannot
be taken seriously.</div>
color=3D"#000000">Jim Kunstler is an iconoclastic social and
architectural critic and writer (he is a proponent of New Urbanism).&nbsp;
He was the primary person interviewed in &quot;End of Suburbia:&nbsp;
Oil Depletion and the Collapse of the American Dream&quot; (available
and www.endofsuburbia.com).&nbsp; Jim, like me, believes that we are
on the verge of Peak Oil (when world oil production begins a decline
that it will never recover from.&nbsp; FYI--here in Texas we are way
past our peak; our oil production is down 75% from 1972).<br>
Jim just returned from a trip to Europe.&nbsp; I thought you might
find his comments (at www.kunstler.com)
interesting.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>
By the way, the WSJ had an interesting article last week regarding the
huge differences between Americans and Europeans regarding debt.&nbsp;
The average American charges something like $5,000 per year on their
credit card--the average German charges $64 on their credit card.&nbsp;
Europeans primarily use debit cards, and the credit cards they use
typically have low credit limits.&nbsp; Also, there is nothing in
Europe like the home equity lines of credit and cash out refinancings
that we have here in the states.&nbsp; FYI--home equity lines of
credit in the U.S. are up 41% in one year.<br>
Jim Kunstler:<br>
2004<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Paris was normal, which is to say the
streets were thronged with live human beings (hardly any of them
overweight), the cafes and restaurants were bustling, even the parks
were well-populated on a brisk December day and we were reminded
emphatically of the stark contrast with the impoverished public life
of America. In fact, one morning as we puttered in the hotel room with
CNN-Europe playing in the background, a story came on about retail
sales back in the States, and there was a shot of our supersized
fellow countrymen waddling around in a WalMart dressed in the usual
slob apparel by which they fail to make a distinction between being at
home and being out in public.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Amsterdam, Holland, was pretty much the same
story as Paris, though it is physically quite different from Paris --
the scale is smaller, the intimate streets are deployed along a
network of beautiful canals, and the car is barely tolerated (or even
much in evidence). There, we would duck into a &quot;brown bar&quot;
(so-called because of the dark wooden wainscotting) at five p.m. and
it would be full of well-dressed, gainfully employed adults in
animated conversation. Public life in Europe is only minimally about
shopping and maximally about spending time with your fellow human
beings.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; American public life by comparison is
pathetic-to-nonexistent. Americans venture out only to roam the
warehouse depots, and only by car. In most American places bars are
strictly for lowlifes, and the public realm for the employed classes
is pretty much restricted to television, with its predictable cast of
manufactured characters and situations. The alienation and isolation
of American life is so pervasive and pathological, compared to life
lived elsewhere in this world, that all the Prozac ever made will
never avail to make things better for us.</font></blockquote>
color=3D"#000000">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The process of making America an alienated
land of solitary, obese driver-shoppers has been very profitable for
predatory corporations. They have systematically disassembled the
public social infrastructure and repackaged pieces of it for sale --
starting with the single-family house isolated on its lot from all the
normal amenities of culture and society. Everybody now has their 'home
theater' so the cinema is only a place to park children for two hours
so you can drive elsewhere to buy the cheez doodles, frozen pizza,
Pepsi, and other staples of the American diet. You equip your kitchen
with an espresso machine and there is no reason to &quot;waste your
time&quot; in a cafe. Everybody has to have their own pool, so the
kids can go swimming by themselves. Family values. The rest of the
human race is unimportant.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; American adults are said to work far more
hours than their European counterparts. Clearly, that is because they
have no place to &quot;be&quot; with other people besides the WalMart,
and no way to get anyplace except the car. On top of this fantastic
alienation, there is the inescapable din of manufactured Christmas
festivity, which must only reinforce the deep,chronic loneliness of
most average Americans, the utter lack of connection with other
people. In Paris there was hardly a Santa to be seen, or a carol to be
heard, though the busy and beautiful streets were saturated with cheer
and conviviality.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; What is also striking in contrast is the
stupendous and immersive ugliness of all &quot;normal&quot; American
daily environments. Public beauty in buildings and streets is not
merely absent, it seems to have been rigorously banished. Americans
now move continually through a machine terrain unmediated by any
reminders of what it means to be human.&nbsp;&nbsp;Our most celebrated
architects are high priests of the machine ethos. America has become a
country of sad, lonely, and frightened people. We say that we like our
way of life, but I suspect that many Red staters have never known
anything else besides the six-lane highway, the box store, and the
life of cable TV. The widespread demoralization is too great to be
calculated.</font></blockquote>
<x-sigsep><pre>--
</pre></x-sigsep>