**SPAM: Re: [Culturechat] Go as a Canadian

Robert M. Smith pagman@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:16:37 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C4E29F.ECC35C00

Re: **SPAM: Re: [Culturechat] Go as a CanadianSome great points Bob!
  While trying not to ever be the "Ugly American" by my behaviour when =
overseas, I would also never try to hide my nationality.=20
  Do I sense a little anti-Bush sentiment in the previous mailing?
  Robert =20
    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Bob Bestor=20
    To: culturechat@untours.com=20
    Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 11:30 AM
    Subject: Re: **SPAM: Re: [Culturechat] Go as a Canadian

    If some feel it necessary to reveal, to people of other countries, =
their opposition to certain administration policies, so be it; but to =
masquerade as a citizen of another country - even a country as fine as =
Canada - is several things, including unnecessary (I'm in Europe now, =
have been for the past 3 weeks, and had zero untoward experiences).

    Perhaps, when considering the possible embarrassment of being an =
American in Europe, some list members might consider a few events of the =
past 60-plus years, namely:

    D-Day, June 6, 1944.

    General Dwight Eisenhower's diversion of American troops, at the end =
of the war from the push toward Berlin, to save Paris from gratuitous =
destruction by the Germans.

    The Berlin Airlift.

    The Marshall Plan.

    The billions of dollars spent to defend Germany and Western Europe =
from Soviet takeover during the Cold War.

    The several thousand Hungarian freedom fighters who died in 1956 =
when President Eisenhower, fearing a Russian takeover of Berlin, refused =
to support their revolution with more than lip service.

    The death of several hundred Cuban patriots at the Bay of Pigs when =
President John Kennedy, also fearing a Russian takeover of Berlin, =
failed to support their counter-revolution. Without U.S. air support, =
they were sitting ducks, trapped on an open beach.

    The involvement of U.S. military forces, in Western Europe's =
backyard, to bring about an end to the conflict in the former =
Yugoslavia.

    Considering the forgoing, and with the image fresh in mind of =
10,000-plus graves of American soldiers at Omaha Beach cemetery, I have =
no plans to identify myself as anything but an American when traveling =
outside the USA.

    Robert H. Bestor, Jr.
    Ashland, Oregon

    P.S. To apologize to, of all people, the Chinese for our country's =
policies is pretty incredible. By almost anyone's standard, their human =
rights record is disgusting.

      Having just recently returned from three weeks in China and one =
week in Japan, we found that the best thing to do is to tell people that =
we are Americans and to state (perhaps reassure) that half the country =
strongly disagrees with the policies of the US government.

      We did not find anyone who thought that Bush and his gang were =
good for the world, good for peace, good for security, or good for the =
environment.

      It's much better to tell the world how strongly we are against the =
Bush policies.

      Boris Sojka