**SPAM: Re: [Culturechat] Go as a Canadian

Bob Bestor bob@gemut.com
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:30:10 -0800

--============_-1108990678==_ma============

If some feel it necessary to reveal, to people of other countries,
their opposition to certain administration policies, so be it; but to
masquerade as a citizen of another country - even a country as fine
as Canada - is several things, including unnecessary (I'm in Europe
now, have been for the past 3 weeks, and had zero untoward
experiences).

Perhaps, when considering the possible embarrassment of being an
American in Europe, some list members might consider a few events of
the past 60-plus years, namely:

D-Day, June 6, 1944.

General Dwight Eisenhower's diversion of American troops, at the end
of the war from the push toward Berlin, to save Paris from gratuitous
destruction by the Germans.

The Berlin Airlift.

The Marshall Plan.

The billions of dollars spent to defend Germany and Western Europe
from Soviet takeover during the Cold War.

The several thousand Hungarian freedom fighters who died in 1956 when
President Eisenhower, fearing a Russian takeover of Berlin, refused
to support their revolution with more than lip service.

The death of several hundred Cuban patriots at the Bay of Pigs when
President John Kennedy, also fearing a Russian takeover of Berlin,
failed to support their counter-revolution. Without U.S. air support,
they were sitting ducks, trapped on an open beach.

The involvement of U.S. military forces, in Western Europe's
backyard, to bring about an end to the conflict in the former
Yugoslavia.

Considering the forgoing, and with the image fresh in mind of
10,000-plus graves of American soldiers at Omaha Beach cemetery, I
have no plans to identify myself as anything but an American when
traveling outside the USA.

Robert H. Bestor, Jr.
Ashland, Oregon

P.S. To apologize to, of all people, the Chinese for our country's
policies is pretty incredible. By almost anyone's standard, their
human rights record is disgusting.

>Having just recently returned from three weeks in China and one week
>in Japan, we found that the best thing to do is to tell people that
>we are Americans and to state (perhaps reassure) that half the
>country strongly disagrees with the policies of the US government.
>
>We did not find anyone who thought that Bush and his gang were good
>for the world, good for peace, good for security, or good for the
>environment.
>
>It's much better to tell the world how strongly we are against the
>Bush policies.
>
>Boris Sojka

--============_-1108990678==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Re: **SPAM: Re: [Culturechat] Go as a
countries, their opposition to certain administration policies, so be
it; but to masquerade as a citizen of another country - even a
country as fine as Canada - is several things, including unnecessary
(I'm in Europe now, have been for the past 3 weeks, and had zero
untoward experiences).</div>
American in Europe, some list members might consider a few events of
the past 60-plus years, namely:</div>
end of the war from the push toward Berlin, to save Paris from
gratuitous destruction by the Germans.</div>
Europe from Soviet takeover during the Cold War.</div>
when President Eisenhower, fearing a Russian takeover of Berlin,
refused to support their revolution with more than lip service.</div>
when President John Kennedy, also fearing a Russian takeover of
Berlin, failed to support their counter-revolution. Without U.S. air
support, they were sitting ducks, trapped on an open beach.</div>
backyard, to bring about an end to the conflict in the former
Yugoslavia.</div>
10,000-plus graves of American soldiers at Omaha Beach cemetery, I
have no plans to identify myself as anything but an American when
traveling outside the USA.</div>
country's policies is pretty incredible. By almost anyone's standard,
their human rights record is disgusting.</div>
just recently returned from three weeks in China and one week in
Japan, we found that the best thing to do is to tell people that we
are Americans and to state (perhaps reassure) that half the country
strongly disagrees with the policies of&nbsp;the
not find anyone who thought that Bush and his gang were good for the
world, good for peace, good for security, or good for the
better to tell the world how strongly we are against the Bush
href="mailto:WesTexas@aol.com">WesTexas@aol.com</a></blockquote>
href="mailto:culturechat@untours.com">culturechat@untours.com</a></blockquote

AM</blockquote>
Canadian</blockquote>
dated 12/10/04 2:49:53 PM,</font> <a
href="mailto:hmmcleod@msn.com"><font face="Geneva" size="-1"
color="#000000">hmmcleod@msn.com</font></a><font face="Geneva"
size="-1" color="#000000"> writes:</font><br>
color="#000000">Go as anything but Americans?&nbsp; Never!</font><br>
Normally, I would agree.&nbsp; But since the U.S. has morphed into an
occupying imperial power, I am frankly reluctant to admit that I am an
American.<br>
I caught a brief portion of a Fox News segment this weekend regarding
Iran.&nbsp; The guest suggested a new &quot;Bush Doctrine,&quot;
to-wit that a nuclear (or perhaps radiological) attack on American
interests any where in the world is to be regarded as an attack on the
U.S. by Iran.&nbsp;&nbsp; Notice the steady drumbeat for war regarding
Iran?&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>
In my opinion, Iran is shaping up to be to World War III, as Poland
was to World War II.&nbsp; In case you haven't grasped the key concept
by now, we ain't the good guys this time.&nbsp;<br>
It is unlikely that the rest of the world is going to stand by and let
us continue to systematically seize the Middle Eastern oil
fields.&nbsp;&nbsp; If want to read something that will cause chills
to go down your spine, I submit the following item from the
AP.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>
will hold their first joint military exercise next year, the Chinese
government said Monday, as President Hu Jintao called for an expansion
of the rapidly growing alliance between the former Cold War
rivals.</font><br>
face="Arial">&nbsp;</font></blockquote>
face="Arial">&nbsp;</font></blockquote>
color="#000000"><br>
---<br>
color="#000000">Checked by AVG anti-virus system (</font><a
href="http://www.grisoft.com"><font face="Geneva" size="-1"
color="#000000">http://www.grisoft.com</font></a><font face="Geneva"
size="-1" color="#000000">).<br>
12/5/2004</font></blockquote>