[Culturechat] Fond memory of the Heartland - Old friends and new friends

Bill Kover ShutterbugBill@att.net
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:55:38 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C3A569.1D728760

It was a cold overcast Sunday.  In two days we would be returning home.  =
Luzern seemed like a good place to spend the day.  It would be good to =
take one last stroll around this beautiful city, and enjoy a nice fondue =
in a cozy restaurant.  Unfortunately, we found out that most restaurants =
were closed.  Things did not look good.  The first open restaurant we =
could find was the Goldener Lowen, a distinctly touristy establishment.  =
Naturally it was crowded.  It seemed like half the place was occupied by =
Americans.  There wasn't an open table to be found.  The waitress seemed =
frazzled, cranky, and was determined to ignore us.  Then, just as our =
morale was at its lowest, the numerous Americans turned out to be a one =
big family who graciously rearranged their seating so that we could have =
a table for our meal.   We thanked them for their kindness.   As we were =
reviewing the menu, the other end of our table became free.  That is =
when we noticed a man and two women standing at the entrance looking for =
a place to sit down.  We motioned for them to share our table.  There in =
the middle of a touristy restaurant on a cold cloudy day, we got the =
moment we were looking for.  The three some consisted of a married =
couple from Annapolis, Maryland, and a Swiss lady from Rotkreuz.  The =
two women had gone to school together in Switzerland when they were =
young.  They hadn't seen each other in over 25 years.  We became part of =
their reunion.  We had our cheese fondue, followed by chocolate fondue =
for dessert.  The shared reunion lasted for 2 1/2 hours.  We had never =
met these three people before.  The only thing we had in common was the =
table we were sitting at.  But for at least 2 1/2 hours we felt like we =
were with best friends.  I think the happiness was contagious.  Even our =
attempts to speak to the waitress in German had a positive effect on her =
disposition.  All in all, the day turned out to be a pretty heart =
warming one.   The next time we're blessed with a cold cloudy day in a =
country far from home, we will again go searching for that special =
moment that all real travellers look for.=20

Bill Kover
Piscataway, New Jersey
------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C3A569.1D728760

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It was a cold =
overcast&nbsp;Sunday.&nbsp; In two=20
days we would be returning home.&nbsp; Luzern seemed like a good place =
to spend=20
the day.&nbsp; It would be good to&nbsp;take&nbsp;one last stroll around =
this=20
beautiful city, and enjoy a nice fondue in a cozy restaurant.&nbsp;=20
Unfortunately, we found out that most restaurants were =
closed.&nbsp;&nbsp;Things=20
did not look good.&nbsp; The first open&nbsp;restaurant we could find =
was the=20
Goldener Lowen, a distinctly touristy establishment.&nbsp; Naturally it =
was=20
crowded.&nbsp; It seemed like half the place was occupied by =
Americans.&nbsp;=20
There wasn't an open table to be found.&nbsp; The waitress seemed =
frazzled,=20
cranky, and was determined to ignore us.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then, just as our =
morale was=20
at its lowest, the numerous Americans turned out to be a&nbsp;one big =
family who=20
graciously rearranged their seating so that we could have a table for =
our=20
meal.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;We thanked them for their kindness.&nbsp;&nbsp; =
As we=20
were reviewing the menu, the other end of our table became free.&nbsp; =
That is=20
when we noticed a man and two women standing at the entrance looking for =
a place=20
to sit down.&nbsp; We motioned for them to share our table.&nbsp; There =
in the=20
middle of a touristy restaurant&nbsp;on a cold cloudy day, we got the =
moment we=20
were looking for.&nbsp; The three some consisted of a married couple =
from=20
Annapolis, Maryland, and a&nbsp;Swiss lady from Rotkreuz.&nbsp; The two =
women=20
had gone to school together in Switzerland when they were young.&nbsp; =
They=20
hadn't seen each other in over&nbsp;25 years.&nbsp; We became part of=20
their&nbsp;reunion.&nbsp;&nbsp;We had our cheese&nbsp;fondue,=20
followed&nbsp;by&nbsp;chocolate fondue for dessert.&nbsp; The shared =
reunion=20
lasted for 2 1/2 hours.&nbsp; We had never met these three people =
before.&nbsp;=20
The only thing we had in common was the table we were sitting at.&nbsp; =
But for=20
at least 2 1/2 hours we felt like we were with best friends.&nbsp; I =
think the=20
happiness was contagious.&nbsp; Even our attempts to speak to the =
waitress in=20
German had a positive effect on her&nbsp;disposition.&nbsp;&nbsp;All in =
all, the=20
day turned out to be a pretty heart warming one.&nbsp;&nbsp; The next =
time we're=20
blessed with a cold cloudy day in a country far from home, we will again =
go=20
searching for that special moment that all real travellers look for.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Bill Kover</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Piscataway, New=20
Jersey</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C3A569.1D728760--