[Culturechat] Herr Britschgi

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 16:37:12 -0800

Herr Britschgi

I have lived in Switzerland ten years now. For about half that time, I
have been meeting quasi-weekly with a man named Gerhard Britschgi. Our
original meeting came about because my eye caught a want ad in English
in a local weekly paper. It said that someone wished to meet with an
English speaker once a week for an hour or so of conversation. Since I
was then going to German classes weekly, I hoped to meet someone for
conversation in German. I called the number, and a man answered that
spoke fairly good English. It was Gerhard (later to become Geri, as we
became first name friends). He said that he was sorry, but someone had
just called, and he thought they would speak together. He did ask me if
he could call me back if this arrangement did not work out well. I said
that would be fine, hung up, and thought no more about it. About a
month or so later, he did call back. We set up a time to meet, and thus
began a most enriching experience for us both.

Gerhard Britschgi was about forty-eight years old then. He was, and is,
the head of vocational counseling for the education department for the
Kanton (County and its towns) of Obwalden. He has a wife and three
daughters and originally grew up in this area but now has his home near
Zurich. His mother still lives here, so he boards with her during the
week. He was originally educator as a teacher and taught for some
years. His wife is also a teacher, and they have three college age
daughters. All three of the daughters have spent at least a year in the
USA and are fluent in English. I think the teacher in Geri couldn’t
stand his daughters speaking English better than he did, so he wanted
to improve what was already very acceptable command of the language.

Geri’s office is about five minutes from where I live, so almost weekly
during the year, we meet there at eight o’clock in the morning for an
hour plus of picking each other’s brains. Geri wanted to pay me for
these visits at first, but I suggested that we just speak English on
one visit and German the next. This is how it has worked out. I teach
Geri mostly English idioms and slang, and he listens graciously to my
imperfect German, making suggestions as to how I can improve. We don’t
do much grammar, but we do talk a lot.

Geri is in some ways a quintessential Swiss, and in some ways very
“unSwiss”. As our friendship has developed, he has become more and more
open with me about everything. The Swiss, as a rule, tend to stay out
of each other’s business. They give themselves and foreigners some
space. They have been called aloof for this reason. This is a
misconception of which I was already aware, but Geri proves the point.
He and his family are warm and genuinely nice people. He laughs about
being at the mercy of a house full of women, but he does hold his own.
He is an alpinist. An alpinist is one of those people who climb
mountains, glaciers, and frozen waterfalls the year round. He is now
fifty-three, and he has the body of a thirty-year-old athlete. His idea
of weekend fun is to ski on a glacier with some friends. I enjoy
hearing about his exploits, and his knowledge of the Alps has led me to
some great hikes over the years. He knows every nook and cranny of this
country.

We now enjoy each other’s company with our common friends, have parties
together, and wonders of all wonders, he, a Swiss, has shared details
of his life such as how much he earns and his daughters’ college
expenses. This just is not done even Swiss to Swiss, so I feel like a
confidant.

In future months, I will use his knowledge as the basis for other
articles.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com/fredch

“Never under estimate the ingenuity of the stupid.”
Anon.