[Culturechat] Look at this if you can

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 06:54:20 +0100

Sunday, here in Switzerland, in our own home, we saw a terrible and yet,
empowering thing on our satellite TV. At about 2:30 PM (8:30 AM EST), we
saw four wounded US POWs on Iraq TV through Al Jerzera network, being
questioned by an Iraqi interviewer. These three men and one woman were
all from a unit out of Texas, obviously terrified, and answering
questions from their interrogator. Then, we got to see several bodies of
soldiers who were shot through the head. Head shots are hard to do
unless one is executed. I rank the Geneva Convention right up there with
the UN.

Now, I hear that these videos may not be shown on USA TV. If it were my
son or daughter on these views, this would appall me in many ways. Not
the least that people in the USA would not see what sort of devils we
are up against. Not the sort to sit down and talk with, believe in, or
trust not to harm us. Some of the people in many countries seem to want
to believe that we can deal with people who do things like this. I hope
these pictures will be burned into the minds of all those who want to do
other than blow these folks to Paradise. The USA networks may not show
this and revile Al Jerzera for showing them. I thank them for their
report.

I used to work in a funeral home. Dead folks don't impress me except as
an empty building once occupied by a soul. Executed bodies, even if they
aren't my kids, are terrible to see. I hope those that oppose this
action against these people will get to hold one of these corpses. Feel
the cold and stiffness of what was once a child, brother, sister, wife,
husband, or whatever. Cruel? No, just a wake up.

I suspect those POWs that I saw this morning are now dead. Hope it was
quick. I think that Al Jerzera did us a favor. We were mesmerized by
this display of brutality. I won't forget it. Dachau and Mathausen come
to mind. I believe that our soldiers and leaders will be spurred to
further efforts by such horrors.

I hope you all get to see these pictures. I hope they are not ever
forgotten.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
"Autopsy, burn, bury, and confirm"
Winston Churchill upon learning of a political opponent's death