[Culturechat] Quality of Life in Denmark

Paul Nick pmnick@earthlink.net
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:50:42 -0400

--Apple-Mail-2--907335745

> I have invited Idyllchat people to join our culture chat because I
> want to merge culture themes with travel issues. Denmark is still high
>  on
> our list as a country in which we want to start an Untour. We have
> avoided
> doing so for two primary reasons: 1) Prices are high, which will
> certainly
> make marketing more difficult; and 2) most people want to visit
> Denmark,
> Norway and Sweden, one week in each. That's an administrative
> nightmare,
> and  adds considerably to expense. So we have been contemplating having
> a  two-week program in Copenhagen and offering a  rail/hotel add-on for
> Sweden and Norway. I'm hoping for comments, perhaps a few suggestions
> of
> how to solve the problems I've posed--maybe some questions.
> Hal

I've just joined culture chat, and after reading the posts on Denmark,
I realize I've been missing out a lot on some interesting exchanges.
I'll have to go through the archives this weekend....

Let me start by stating that in 1986-1987, I spent a year abroad in
Copenhagen, studying the the Danish International Studies (DIS) program
through the University of Copenhagen and the Copenhagen Business School
(HK).  I lived with a Danish family on a farm west of the city, in a
small town called Ganlose.  Although I had a long commute into the city
for classes, I enjoyed every minute of it.  To this day, Copenhagen is
one of my favorite cities.  I enjoyed it so much that I actually
considered trying to find a job there, but alas, my Danish never
developed beyond the conversational and my U.S. law degree wasn't very
useful.  So, in the interests of full disclosure, I am somewhat biased
about Copenhagen.

Turning to the suggested Untour, let me offer some suggestions.
Copenhagen is expensive, but less so than Stockholm or Oslo.  Also, now
that the bridge across the Oresund is finished, it is easy to travel
across to southern Sweden which, in my opinion, is to eastern Sweden
what western Ireland is to eastern Ireland.   I don't want to start a
debate :-), so let me just suggest that there are A LOT of day trips
that could be made from Copenhagen to Sweden that would satisfy many
(Orrefors and Kosta Boda crystal factories, the town of Helsingborg,
Universities of Lund and Malmo, etc.)

We're probably not your typical Untourists, in that my wife and I are
in our thirties and really cannot afford to take off more than two
weeks at a stretch for a vacation. (Reason #1115 to move to Europe, I
know....) Although I like the idea of a 2 week tour with optional
additional excursions to Norway or Sweden conceptually, we would never
do it.  I'd advocate something along the lines of the new one week
tours being offered.  That way, travelers could add Copenhagen to, say,
Berlin or the Rhine valley, making for a fascinating juxtaposition of
cultures (at least in my view).  Pricing it for a one week stay might
also cut at least some costs, so it wouldn't be so expensive that no
one would go on it.  I like the idea of a rail/ferry/hotel add-on too,
but only as an add-on to the one week tour.

The Danes are like the Dutch with regard to possessing excellent
language skills, so I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem locating a
local on-site person.  And yes, if you need someone to help with
interviews, I'm sure I could find the time ;-)

I hope that a Scandinavian Untour becomes a reality!

Regards,
Paul
--Apple-Mail-2--907335745