[Culturechat] eight European states have issued a joint declaration of support for the United States

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:19:53 EST

(It is ironic that Germany--the country where Hitler rose to power--and
France--the country that could have most easily stopped Hitler in the early
to mid-Thirties--are the two most vociferous opponents of military action
against Hussein).  J. Brown

The leaders of eight European states have issued a joint declaration of
support for the United States in its efforts to disarm Iraq. The statement
appeared in newspapers across Europe. Here is the text of the statement:

The real bond between the United States and Europe is the values we share:
democracy, individual freedom, human rights and the Rule of Law. These values
crossed the Atlantic with those who sailed from Europe to help create the
USA.

Today they are under greater threat than ever. The attacks of 11 September
showed just how far terrorists - the enemies of our common values - are
prepared to go to destroy them. Those outrages were an attack on all of us.
In standing firm in defence of these principles, the governments and people
of the United States and Europe have amply demonstrated the strength of their
convictions.

Today more than ever, the transatlantic bond is a guarantee of our freedom.
We in Europe have a relationship with the United States which has stood the
test of time. Thanks in large part to American bravery, generosity and
far-sightedness, Europe was set free from the two forms of tyranny that
devastated our continent in the 20th century: Nazism and Communism. Thanks,
too, to the continued co-operation between Europe and the United States we
have managed to guarantee peace and freedom on our continent.

The transatlantic relationship must not become a casualty of the current
Iraqi regime's persistent attempts to threaten world security. In today's
world, more than ever before, it is vital that we preserve that unity and
cohesion.

We know that success in the day-to-day battle against terrorism and the
proliferation of weapons of mass destruction demands unwavering determination
and firm international cohesion on the part of all countries for whom freedom
is precious. The Iraqi regime and its weapons of mass destruction represent a
clear threat to world security. This danger has been explicitly recognised by
the United Nations. All of us are bound by Security Council Resolution 1441,
which was adopted unanimously. We Europeans have since reiterated our backing
for Resolution 1441, our wish to pursue the UN route and our support for the
Security Council, at the Prague Nato Summit and the Copenhagen European
Council. In doing so, we sent a clear, firm and unequivocal message that we
would rid the world of the danger posed by Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass
destruction.

We must remain united in insisting that his regime is disarmed. The
solidarity, cohesion and determination of the international community are our
best hope of achieving this peacefully. Our strength lies in unity. The
combination of weapons of mass destruction and terrorism is a threat of
incalculable consequences.

It is one at which all of us should feel concerned. Resolution 1441 is Saddam
Hussein's last chance to disarm using peaceful means. The opportunity to
avoid greater confrontation rests with him. Sadly this week the UN weapons
inspectors have confirmed that his long-established pattern of deception,
denial and non-compliance with UN Security Council resolutions is continuing.

Europe has no quarrel with the Iraqi people. Indeed, they are the first
victims of Iraq's current brutal regime. Our goal is to safeguard world peace
and security by ensuring that this regime gives up its weapons of mass
destruction. Our governments have a common responsibility to face this
threat. Failure to do so would be nothing less than negligent to our own
citizens and to the wider world.

The United Nations Charter charges the Security Council with the task of
preserving international peace and security. To do so, the Security Council
must maintain its credibility by ensuring full compliance with its
resolutions. We cannot allow a dictator to systematically violate those
Resolutions. If they are not complied with, the Security Council will lose
its credibility and world peace will suffer as a result. We are confident
that the Security Council will face up to its responsibilities.

 Jose Maria Aznar, Spain
Jose Manuel Durao Barroso, Portugal
Silvio Berlusconi, Italy
Tony Blair, United Kingdom