[Culturechat] Glasgow Herald--Fascinating Behind the Scenes Account of EU...

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:20:06 EST

 "Some day, some way, I guarantee you, he'll use the arsenal."
 by Stephen F. Hayes

THE PRESIDENT mulls a strike against Iraq, which he calls an "outlaw nation"
in league with an "unholy axis of terrorists, drug traffickers and organized
international criminals." The talk among world leaders, however, focuses on
diplomacy. France, Russia, China, and most Arab nations oppose military
action. The Saudis balk at giving us overflight rights. U.N. secretary
general Kofi Annan prepares a last-ditch attempt to convince Saddam Hussein
to abide by the U.N. resolutions he agreed to at the end of the Gulf War.

Administration rhetoric could hardly be stronger. The president asks the
nation to consider this question: What if Saddam Hussein  "fails to comply,
and we fail to act, or we take some ambiguous third route which gives him yet
more opportunities to develop his program of weapons of mass destruction and
continue to press for the release of the sanctions and continue to ignore the
solemn commitments that he made? Well, he will conclude that the
international community has lost its will. He will then conclude that he can
go right on and do more to rebuild an arsenal of devastating destruction."

The president's warnings are firm. "If we fail to respond today, Saddam and
all those who would follow in his footsteps will be emboldened tomorrow." The
stakes, he says, could not be higher. "Some day, some way, I guarantee you,
he'll use the arsenal."

These are the words not of President George W. Bush in September 2002 but of
President Bill Clinton on February 18, 1998. Clinton was speaking at the
Pentagon, after the Joint Chiefs and other top national security advisers had
briefed him on U.S. military readiness. The televised speech followed a
month-long build-up of U.S. troops and equipment in the Persian Gulf. And it
won applause from leading Democrats on Capitol Hill.

But just five days later, Kofi Annan struck yet another "deal" with the Iraqi
dictator--which once more gave U.N. inspectors permission to inspect--and
Saddam won again.