[Culturechat] "Is This Schroeder's End?"

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 18:11:04 EST

>From News Reports:
J. Brown

 BERLIN, Germany -- Gerhard Schroeder has promised to fight on as German
chancellor after two crippling state election defeats for which he accepted
most of the blame.

Just four months after Schroeder narrowly won reelection, the SPD lost
control of the statehouse in the chancellor's native Lower Saxony to the
conservative Christian Democrats (CDU), who also increased their majority in
Hesse.

A tired and sombre-looking chancellor said Sunday's twin defeats for his
centre-left Social Democrats (SPD) had dealt him "one of the bitterest
defeats I have known" and that "the government and I have to carry the
central responsibility for this defeat."

But he insisted he was not considering resignation. "I am not thinking about
it and others (in the SPD) are not thinking about it either," he told a news
conference.

Anger at high unemployment and tax rises played a major part in the
campaigns, but opposition politicians and analysts said many voters had also
rejected the government's isolationist stance on the question of war with
Iraq.

German newspapers on Monday speculated on whether Schroeder would be forced
to reshuffle his Cabinet or even to enter a national coalition with the
Christian Democrats, which increased their majority in the upper house of
parliament.

The SPD again tried to appeal to Germans' anti-war sentiments, as it did
during the federal elections. But CDU leader Angela Merkel said she was
pleased that voters had "refused to be seduced a second time by a mood of
fear."

"This is an important signal to the European allies and to the American
government," Merkel told AP. "I think much is at stake for German foreign
policy.

"I think it was a big mistake by the chancellor to take a position before he
saw the (U.N.) inspectors' report. That isolated Germany," said Merkel, who
plans to travel to the United States later this month.

As tabloid Bild ran the banner headline "Is This Schroeder's End?," political
analysts said the chancellor's stance on Iraq might cost him his job.