[Culturechat] Denmark: A Case Study in Social Democracy (From Mises Inst...

Hal Taussig HT@untours.com
Fri, 01 Aug 2003 13:52:32 -0400

Thanks, J, for mentioning the fact that despite our politics, I and my
colleagues do a first class job servicing customers. That's what economics
is about in the final analysis. The Scandinavian "welfare states" are good
capitalists in that they produce goods and services efficiently-- an
impressive growing economy for  fifty years.You and I probably define
capitalism differently. But our differences probably do not constitute an
enlightening debate for culturechat. On the other hand, I do like your idea
of discussing Danish wind power. There are quite a few areas like this,
usually thought of as environmental issues, where we could emulate
Scandinavian . Another example, there is a fairly substantial use of
compost toilets in Sweden--in upper class areas of the suburbs. Because
sewerage is a big factor corrupting drinking water in developing countries,
I expect to be involved in an attempt to capitalize small entrepreneurs who
will make and sell compost toilets. This is a way to make capitalists out
of many people--and eventually give hundreds of thousands a chance to drink
clean water. (The toilets we plan to use have been designed and perfected
in Sweden.) Both your topic and mine may be too esoteric to involve a big
discussion; but it might provoke a general interest in Scandinavian
culture. And maybe it will lap over into the practical travel issues,
possibly prompting us to move the possibility of starting a Danish
(Scandinavian) Untour from the back to the front burner.
Hal