[Culturechat] Check out "TIME.com: Where the Good Jobs Are Going -- Aug.…"

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 13:59:41 EDT

(Is this happening in Europe too?) J. Brown

Click Here: <A
HREF="http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101030804-471198,00.html">TIME.com: Where the Good Jobs Are Going -- Aug.…</A>

Excerpt:
<<But more and more of the jobs that are moving abroad today are highly
skilled and highly paid — the type that U.S. workers assumed would always remain at
home. Instead Maglione is one of thousands of Americans adjusting to the
unsettling new reality of work. "If I can get another three years in this
industry, I'll be fortunate," he says. Businesses are embracing offshore outsourcing
in their drive to stay competitive, and almost any company, whether in
manufacturing or services, can find some part of its work that can be done off site.
By taking advantage of lower wages overseas, U.S. managers believe they can cut
their overall costs 25% to 40% while building a more secure, more focused
work force in the U.S. Labor leaders — and nonunion workers, who make up most of
those being displaced — aren't buying that rationale. "How can America be
competitive in the long run sending over the very best jobs?" asks Marcus
Courtney, president of the Seattle-based Washington Alliance of Technology Workers. "I
don't see how that helps the middle class."

On the other side of the world, though, educated Indian workers are quickly
adjusting to their new status as the world's most sought-after employees. They
have never been more confident and optimistic — as Americans usually like to
think of themselves. For now, at least, in ways both tangible and emotional,
educated Americans and Indians are trading places.>>