[Culturechat] responses

Vivianne et Jean-Paul Beller vivjpbbel@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 10:07:05 +0200

Thank you to Marlene for your support. My own reaction to Vance's ridiculous
comment was to give him the "French shrug". Do you know what that is ? Have
you ever been to France or had a French friend ? If so you'll know what I'm
speaking of. It's probably what has given the French their reputation for
arrogance, it's a movement of the eyebrows, the shoulders, and a little pfst
from the lips that is just perfect for such situations. It says "not even
worthy of a response".
Vance's comments speak for themselves. Saying things like "Chirac doesn't
give a hoot about the EU"  is perhaps the most obvious.  It is that kind of
silly statement that I'm trying to fight.
It may work on some Americans who aren't familiar with the EU but certainly
he can't try and tell me about the EU. I live in it, I live in a land that
is home to its capital. My point was to explain that
to understand the French and German positions the EU factor must be kept in
mind. It's extremely obvious for those of us who live here, I'm not sure it
is to Americans who seem to think the French are just being obnoxious. Many
Americans don't realize that there is a European constitution being written
and that the expansion to 25 countries means restructuring and that there
are many debates as to the how to move forward, as a political entity or
just economic ? And how to define relations with the American economic
giant.  France and Germany are locomotives of the EU, their political views
are not the same on some issues, nor are England's and struggling to find
common ground is and will continue to be a constant. This crisis won't stop
the EU from going forward, it's used to going sometimes fast and sometimes
slowly. But to not recognize it's importance to France's positions in the
international arena is to not understand. How can France encourage the EU to
be a strong, independant institution if they all bend to the American views
all the time ?

Hal's article says it quite well.  I'd like the rest of it too please.

Vivianne