[Culturechat] Re: [Idyllchat] Moderating vs. censoring - the Christmas Letters

VCR gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:35:22 +0200

Jim and Ellie Lee wrote:

> I don't mind paying taxes either; just wish I could be sure they would
> serve a noble purpose!

Taxes for services are one thing. My complaint about the Swiss getting
sucked into paying for the G8 party in France is another. I keep hoping
someone in Bern will wake up. Anyone who has ever been around government
bureaucracy is well aware of the waste of tax moneys.

> Historically, the Republican party has been the handmaiden of the
> rich, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised,  but the real turnaround
> is that the Republicans have traditionally been against building up a
> large government debt and saddling our children with it.

I keep hearing about our children's debt problems. I've heard this for
many years. When does it start? My kids don't seem to know about it.
Social security may well do this, but that is true in every country that
has a social insurance program.

>  Whatever happened to fiscal responsibility?

It left when FDR was elected.

>  (Vance, you'll be surprised to know that this "liberal" has stopped
> contributing to the Demos locally, telling the phonathoners that until
> I hear something worth supporting, I won't give a penny).

Bet they love to hear that. I do!

>   With the Iraq rebuilding costs soaring over the next few years, it
> is inconceivable that Bush can present this proposal with a straight
> face!  I happily vote for no tax cut.  Jim Lee

Iraq oil will pay a lot toward the rehab. If you want no tax break, how
about just paying mine this year?

--
Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch

Autopsy, burn, and bury, you want to be sure.
Winston Churchill on hearing of the death of a political opponent.