[Culturechat] America plans military bases in Iraq to apply pressure on Middle East

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 20:43:03 EDT

--part1_148.fb5b120.2bd49897_boundary

http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/04/21/wirq21.xml
&
sSheet=/news/2003/04/21/ixnewstop.html

America plans military bases in Iraq to apply pressure on Middle East
By Toby Harnden in Washington
(Filed: 21/04/2003)

Excerpt follows:

<<The United States is planning to establish up to four long-term military
bases in Iraq. The proposal would transform America's ability to project its
power in the Middle East.

Future arrangements depend largely on who takes over as leader of Iraq.
However, Baghdad International Airport, Tallil in southern Iraq, the H-1
airstrip in the west and Bashur airfield in Kurdistan have been identified as
potential bases.

"There will be some kind of a long-term defence relationship with a new Iraq,
similar to Afghanistan," a senior Bush administration official said. "The
scope of that has yet to be defined - whether it will be 'full-up'
operational bases, smaller forward operating bases or plain access.">>

I have thought for some time that the Bush Administration is keenly aware of
the emerging oil supply crisis and that a strong underlying reason for the
Persian Gulf War II was to station a large permanent military force in the
Middle East--while also trying to encourage democracy in the region.  If you
want to research the oil supply story, do a web search under King Hubbert
and/or world oil shortage.

King Hubbert accurately predicted that U.S. Lower 48 oil production would
peak in the early Seventies--and he was correct.  He also predicted that
world oil production would peak around 2001--and then decline forever.  By
the way, the all time monthly peak of world oil production--so far--was
March, 2001.  World oil production has been below this peak for 22 straight
months (through January, 2003, the last reporting period).  Total U.S.
petroleum inventories (crude oil plus products) have also fallen for 10
straight months.

Some additional facts.   There are 60 oil fields worldwide producing 100,000
BOPD or more.  Only two of these fields were found in the past 25 years.  At
our current rate of consumption, the Hubbert's Peak folks think that in the
next four years we will consume 10% of all the remaining oil that we will
EVER produce.   By the way, oil production numbers are reported two different
ways:  (1)  crude plus condensate and (2) crude plus condensate plus natural
gas liquids.

If you want to review the absolute worst case, check out dieoff.com.   Their
prediction is that world energy production per capita in 2030 will be back to
the same level that it was in 1930.

Jeffrey Brown

--part1_148.fb5b120.2bd49897_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#ffffff"><FONT  style=
=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial"=20=
LANG=3D"0">http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=3D/news/2003/=
04/21/wirq21.xml&amp;sSheet=3D/news/2003/04/21/ixnewstop.html<BR>
<BR>
America plans military bases in Iraq to apply pressure on Middle East<BR>
By Toby Harnden in Washington<BR>
<I>(Filed: 21/04/2003) <BR>
<BR>
Excerpt follows:</I><BR>
<BR>
&lt;&lt;The United States is planning to establish up to four long-term mili=
tary bases in Iraq. The proposal would transform America's ability to projec=
t its power in the Middle East.<BR>
<BR>
Future arrangements depend largely on who takes over as leader of Iraq. Howe=
ver, Baghdad International Airport, Tallil in southern Iraq, the H-1 airstri=
p in the west and Bashur airfield in Kurdistan have been identified as poten=
tial bases.<BR>
<BR>
"There will be some kind of a long-term defence relationship with a new Iraq=
, similar to Afghanistan," a senior Bush administration official said. "The=20=
scope of that has yet to be defined - whether it will be 'full-up' operation=
al bases, smaller forward operating bases or plain access."&gt;&gt;<BR>
<BR>
I have thought for some time that the Bush Administration is keenly aware of=
 the emerging oil supply crisis and that a strong underlying reason for the=20=
Persian Gulf War II was to station a large permanent military force in the M=
iddle East--while also trying to encourage democracy in the region.&nbsp; If=
 you want to research the oil supply story, do a web search under King Hubbe=
rt and/or world oil shortage. <BR>
<BR>
King Hubbert accurately predicted that U.S. Lower 48 oil production would pe=
ak in the early Seventies--and he was correct.&nbsp; He also predicted that=20=
world oil production would peak around 2001--and then decline forever.&nbsp;=
 By the way, the all time monthly peak of world oil production--so far--was=20=
March, 2001.&nbsp; World oil production has been below this peak for 22 stra=
ight months (through January, 2003, the last reporting period).&nbsp; Total=20=
U.S. petroleum inventories (crude oil plus products) have also fallen for 10=
 straight months. <BR>
<BR>
Some additional facts.&nbsp;&nbsp; There are 60 oil fields worldwide produci=
ng 100,000 BOPD or more.&nbsp; Only two of these fields were found in the pa=
st 25 years.&nbsp; At our current rate of consumption, the Hubbert's Peak fo=
lks think that in the next four years we will consume 10% of all the remaini=
ng oil that we will EVER produce.&nbsp;&nbsp; By the way, oil production num=
bers are reported two different ways:&nbsp; (1)&nbsp; crude plus condensate=20=
and (2) crude plus condensate plus natural gas liquids.&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
If you want to review the absolute worst case, check out dieoff.com.&nbsp;&n=
bsp; Their prediction is that world energy production per capita in 2030 wil=
l be back to the same level that it was in 1930.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Jeffrey Brown<BR>
<BR>
    <BR>