[Culturechat] Demographics in CH

WesTexas@aol.com WesTexas@aol.com
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 13:29:47 EDT

My best guess for the increase in the divorce rate was the perception of a
generally booming world stock market and overall strong economy.   If there
are more assets in the marriage--and if the partners are confident of finding
work--the partners may have felt more confident about setting off on their
own.   I would suspect that more recent stats will show a significant drop in
the divorce rate.

In regard to the more recent fall off in the rate of marriage, I suspect that
it is reflecting the slumping economy.

In regard to the falling birth rate, this is happening across the entire
developed world, especially in Europe (most notably in Italy).

Jeffrey Brown